What's new

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
Will Krupp you didn't grow up listening to TPG obc? Oh god I'm old.

'57 was an amazing year for movies at Radio City.
Funny Face, Prince and the Showgirl, Silk Stockings, Pajama Game, Les Girls, and Sayanora.
And Harold Prince gets his name twice in the credits for TPG! As he was preparing the WSS opening a block over at the Winter Garden. Sheesh. The achievements of some people.

Last edited:

Gerani53

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I seem to remember PYGMALION (1938) having lots of "damns" in it... allowed because of the 'literary source' defense, perhaps? Was England less uptight about the "d" word than America? Even so, PYGMALION was a big hit in the U.S., winning multiple Oscars (including screenplay!). I doubt all those "damns" were snipped for release, and this was just one tiny year before Rhett Butler made his notorious, attention-getting declaration. Go figure.

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I believe the lyrics on Broadway weren't originally "7 and a half cents doesn't mean a heck of a lot!"

But what the hay :D!

I understand both he and the studio were fined for that ...
Hell, yes.

Another one:

All you've got to do is be polite with him
And they have you spending the night with him

Became
All you got to do it seems it work for him
And they've got you going berserk for him

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Will Krupp you didn't grow up listening to TPG obc? Oh god I'm old.

'57 was an amazing year for movies at Radio City.
Funny Face, Prince and the Showgirl, Silk Stockings, Pajama Game, Les Girls, and Sayanora.
And Harold Prince gets his name twice in the credits for TPG! As he was preparing the WSS opening a block over at the Winter Garden. Sheesh. The achievements of some people.

Although 1939 is generally accepted as Hollywood's Greatest Year, and there's an excellent new book out that makes the case for 1962, I still think 1957 should have that title . In addition to the films you mention, I'll add ;

The Bridge on the River Kwai
12 Angry Men
Sweet Smell of Success
A Face in the Crowd
Witness for the Prosecution
Love in the Afternoon
The Wrong Man
A Hatful of Rain
Peyton Place
The Great Man
The Bachelor Party

and many more....

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Only Clark Gable was allowed to say "damn".

I seem to remember PYGMALION (1938) having lots of "damns" in it... allowed because of the 'literary source' defense, perhaps? Was England less uptight about the "d" word than America? Even so, PYGMALION was a big hit in the U.S., winning multiple Oscars (including screenplay!). I doubt all those "damns" were snipped for release, and this was just one tiny year before Rhett Butler made his notorious, attention-getting declaration. Go figure.

By 1964, Rex Harrison was allowed to say it 13 times in My Fair Lady, including four times in the intro to "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face." This makes it all the more ironic that movie musicals were not declared "dead" until after the introduction of MPAA Ratings eliminated the need to change lyrics.

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
Interesting because there are those who think the early 60s was the low point for American films. Not me. By the way there's a really good documentary on Pauline Kael on Amazon Prime. Despite disagreeing about almost every film ever made I enjoy her writings enormously. I bring this up because Lawrence was '62 and she was not a fan. Too much god damn good taste. That sort of Kael stuff.
OK back to TPG before I get a finger wagging.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I also disagree with the assessment that that era constitutes the nadir of filmmaking US. That feels like a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side of the pond" to me. We are in a golden age of home media presentation technology, however, which makes it easier to get movies like these restored and remastered. But after recent events brought the film industry to its knees after what seemed like an endless wave of uninspired remakes and equally uninspired comic book adaptations, I fear the worst is yet to come.

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
teresting because there are those who think the early 60s was the low point for American films. Not me. By the way there's a really good documentary on Pauline Kael on Amazon Prime. Despite disagreeing about almost every film ever made I enjoy her writings enormously. I bring this up because Lawrence was '62 and she was not a fan. Too much god damn good taste. That sort of Kael stuff.
OK back to TPG before I get a finger wagging.
You'd probably enjoy the new book "Cinema 62" by Stephen Farber, all about the films of that year

Real Name
Josh
Did anyone else pre-order from amazon? i'm just wondering if they will actually have this and Good News in stock on release day. My order says it will arrive on the 26th but amazon is always hit or miss when it comes to releasing WAC titles.

John Skoda

Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of credits, you'll notice the absence of Ray Heindorf's name in the credits for THE PAJAMA GAME. I think this was because of a musicians strike going on in Hollywood at the time. His name does show up as musical director on the soundtrack album, but not in the movie itself!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Did anyone else pre-order from amazon? i'm just wondering if they will actually have this and Good News in stock on release day. My order says it will arrive on the 26th but amazon is always hit or miss when it comes to releasing WAC titles.

I ordered three WAC titles (PAJAMA GAME, AFTER THE THIN MAN and GOOD NEWS) from Amazon for a January 26th release date. For what it's worth, I've gotten January 26th delivery confirmations via email for PAJAMA GAME and THIN MAN and a February 3rd delivery confirmation via email for GOOD NEWS.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I ordered The Pajama Game from Amazon on January 10, and ordered Good News on December 16.

My Pajama Game delivery date is Jan. 26; my Good News delivery date is "Jan 28 - Feb 19" In other words, "The Pajama Game will arrive on time, and Good News will get there when it gets there and don't ask any other questions."

Of course, something similar happened with The Pirate, where they kept moving the delivery date; in the end, I got it about a week after release. So, I'm hoping Good News gets moved up, but I'll be busy watching The Pajama Game in the meantime!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I ordered The Pajama Game from Amazon on January 10, and ordered Good News on December 16.

My Pajama Game delivery date is Jan. 26; my Good News delivery date is "Jan 28 - Feb 19" In other words, "The Pajama Game will arrive on time, and Good News will get there when it gets there and don't ask any other questions."

Of course, something similar happened with The Pirate, where they kept moving the delivery date; in the end, I got it about a week after release. So, I'm hoping Good News gets moved up, but I'll be busy watching The Pajama Game in the meantime!
But Good News is always worth waiting for :D!

Real Name
Josh

My Good News date hasn't changed as of yer but Same thing happened to me when I pre-ordered the pirate. On the day of its release it didn't ship out then the date just keep getting later and later finally I canceled and ordered it on ebay. The next month for Harvey Girls I pre-ordered at deepdiscount but a week after it was released I was still waiting for it to come in stock. amazon of course had that one in stock on the first day of release. I always seem to pre-order at the wrong place.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
My Good News date hasn't changed as of yer but Same thing happened to me when I pre-ordered the pirate.

I just got a notice that all four of the January 26th titles (the three Warners and COURT JESTER) will all arrive tomorrow so it looks like Amazon is on this with stock. My GOOD NEWS date never budged from a February 3rd arrival until the minute it shipped.

Real Name
Josh
I just got a notice that all four of the January 26th titles (the three Warners and COURT JESTER) will all arrive tomorrow so it looks like Amazon is on this with stock. My GOOD NEWS date never budged from a February 3rd arrival until the minute it shipped.
That is good news! I got all three titles as well and amazon took the money out of my account for them this morning so they must be shipping them soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cronosmantas