What's new

A few words about…™ The Night of the Iguana – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Every time I see, or think about The Night of the Iguana, it takes me back to the summer of 1964, when one of my low-end jobs was going the myriad of telexes between NY and Puerto Vallarta, and categorizing them per budget line. Off and on, weeks of telexes.

After sampling the film again after aeons, some thoughts return.

Mr. Huston was a superb filmmaker, and Iguana, based upon the play by Tennessee Williams, was not a simply entity to bring to the screen.

Shot in beautiful black & white - Mr. Huston had used it before - by Mexican cinematographer Gabriel Figueroa, who trained under Gregg Toland.

The cast includes Richard Burton (Miss Taylor was on location), Ava Gardner, Deborah Kerr and Sue Lyon - an eclectic group of actors - and every one leaves an impression as they cast about the de-frocked minister giving tours in Mexico. Mr. Burton is superb!

Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is a huge improvement over the old DVD, and appears much like a 35mm print in projection.

Wonderful film. Beautiful release.

Be on the lookout for actor/director Emilio Fernandez, who most will recall from The Wild Bunch.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Never seen this, but the wonderful Grayson Hall (best known as Julia Hoffman from the soap opera "Dark Shadows") received a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her role in this

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
I remember seeing this as a child in a theatre so I grew up with the image of Ava Gardner in the roll of the inn keeper Maxine. It wasn’t until I was much older that I discovered that Bette Davis originated the role on Broadway. I still can’t wrap my head around her in that roll!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
And a 44 year old Marsha Mason played the part of Maxine in the 1996 Broadway revival. I have never seen the film, so reading how well this blu-ray came out makes this essential viewing for me.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The blu ray just arrived. I can’t wait to watch it tonight!
DDE9101E-BE7B-4A3D-99B3-54C126897532.jpeg

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I see you customized the cover. That's the poster which got me to see the film at the Paramount--traveling all the way from 167th and Sherman in the Bronx--in 1964.
The awful cover art for the new blu ray... I wish I had the original poster.

I wish WA could have used the rare original one sheet
Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 17.30.25.jpeg

Last edited:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I think I'd rather see something more contemporary. Maybe to pique the interest of those who haven't seen or heard of the movie before. Ava....

AvaSolo2.jpg

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I see you customized the cover. That's the poster which got me to see the film at the Paramount--traveling all the way from 167th and Sherman in the Bronx--in 1964.
I have family up in that neck of the woods. 161st Street - Yankee Stadium area. :thumbsup:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In the Richard Burton (massive) biography "And God Created Burton" by Tom Rubython (a great read), Mr Rubython writes that John Huston was staggered at the amount that Burton drank (& he was quite a drinker himself), & Ava Gardner said: "I thought I drank a lot, & I thought John (Huston) drank a lot, but Richard Burton drank more than anyone I ever knew".

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The book HELLRAISERS by Robert Sellers has some incredible descriptions of Burton's and others' ability to put it away.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I have family up in that neck of the woods. 161st Street - Yankee Stadium area. :thumbsup:
My great aunt and uncles used to live there. I had relatives on Fordham Road too. All gone now, unfortunately. But those were good times. And yes, it was a five minute walk from Yankee Stadium. As a twelve year old, I thought it was paradise.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
And a 44 year old Marsha Mason played the part of Maxine in the 1996 Broadway revival. I have never seen the film, so reading how well this blu-ray came out makes this essential viewing for me.
Just watched this tonight. A masterpiece. Brilliant directing writing acting and just a gorgeous transfer.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
This is my favorite of Williams' plays - and it isn't quite as neutered as the other film adaptation's of his works. Everything works and the cast just work so well off of each other - yes even Sue Lyon.

Patrick O'Neal originated Burton's role on Broadway.

Bette Davis who originated the role of "Maxine" in the original Broadway production only played it for 3 months before being replaced by Shelley Winters. James Farentino and Christopher Jones played her cabana boys.

Margaret Leighton originated the role of "Hannah", played in this film by Deborah Kerr and won a Tony Award for her performance.

As far as the film is concerned Ava Gardner, Richard Burton and John Huston should have received at the very least Academy Award nominations for their efforts.

My uncle had a record album that featured dramatic highlights from the film with commentary by John Huston. He had a lot of plays recorded on vinyl: "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" (the play and film), "Luv" with Eli Wallach, Anne Jackson and Alan Arkin, "Man of La Mancha" (London Production), "After the Fall" with Jason Robards and Barbara Loden, "The Boys in the Band" by Mart Crowley.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks