What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Night House – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Somehow, The Night House, a film that emerged during Covid in late August of 2021, totally got by me.

And that's a pity.

Directed by David Bruckner, whose work I'd not previously seen, but had been aware, and starring Rebecca Hall in an incredible performance - which one might expect when one is aware of her genes, with support from another strong turn by Stacy Martin...

And then there's Vondie Curtis-Hall, as well as BFF Sarah Goldberg, and the spiritual Even Jonigkeit.

I should also have known that the game was afoot when I noted David Goyer as a producer.

It's a genuinely creepy psychological ghost story for those seeking something a bit more demanding of the audience to think through things.

I've never been a fan of shock cuts and sounds, and the like, and there are a few, but that aside, this is a film one can sink their teeth into.

I'll not give away even a bit of the plot, as the entire films is a bit akin to deconstructing an onion, going deeper and deeper, eventually to places that had better been left alone.

Going hand-in-hand with the film's seemingly near-invisible existence, is the fact that I'm unable to pull it up on Amazon, even though it appears in the search bar.

Regardless, the new Blu-ray is a beauty, which replicates the cinematographic work of Elisha Christian in darkness and light. It's a Fox Searchlight release via Disney.

A warning for those who share walls with others. A couple of the shock cuts come up loud, and can lead to altercations with neighbors. The track will also clean lint and dust from one's speakers.

The film is a frightful delight, and just in time for All Hallow's Eve.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
As always, an excellent review from RAH. Take note that RAH writes: "A warning for those who share walls with others. A couple of the shock cuts come up loud, and can lead to altercations with neighbors. The track will also clean lint and dust from one's speakers."

The Night House is the scariest movie I've seen in a long time. And very well made. Almost art-house horror.

Last edited:

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
We watched it this week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very suspenseful and thought-provoking (I won't spoil any plot points). And, as Robert noted, the cinematography is gorgeous.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm intrigued! Sounds like it's right down my alley. But which version to purchase? The Blu will be released on 10/19 with DTS-HD audio at $19.99, but I can buy the stream right now in 4K with DD+ audio for $14.99 (MA compatible). Decisions, decisions!

EDIT: Turns out I had a forgotten $10 target gift card, so I ordered the Blu for $11 shipped.

Last edited:

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Just watched this last night and I love how it was nothing like I thought it would be. Very original and follows the beat of its own drum. Some very creepy scenes as well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered from Amazon. I am not a bit surprised, but they have not yet shipped or even have an expected date for me to receive my copy.

I'll probably just head to Target and buy my copy there and cancel the Amazon order.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered from Amazon. I am not a bit surprised, but they have not yet shipped or even have an expected date for me to receive my copy.

I'll probably just head to Target and buy my copy there and cancel the Amazon order.
And THAT is exactly what I did today! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks