What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Nibelungen -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Before there were hobbits, rings and such...

There were tales of dragons, trolls and the Norse legend of Siegfried and Kriemhild.

Two films, created by Fritz Lang, were sandwiched between his other great productions of the era -- The Spiders, Destiny, Dr. Mabuse and later Metropolis, Spies and M.

For decades they sat in pieces, partially preserved in archival vaults around the world. With work completed only recently by via Murnau-Stiftung and Transit Film, we are the beneficiaries of a reconstruction and restoration, piecing together negatives, prints and dupes toward creating a tinted approximation of the original films.

Precisely which negatives were used for what versions was a major question toward the reconstructions, and you'll find the best information on pages 86 - 98 here:

http://www.fiafnet.org/content/finFIAF_79%201%201.pdf

For those who don't usually dabble in the wonders of the silent cinema, Siegfried (1924) and Kriemhild's Revenge (1925) are two of the great classics of the era, from UFA, probably the only studio that could have handled productions of this size in Europe.

Both films with their original scores by Gottfried Huppertz, newly recorded, and represented here in DTS-HD MA 5.1. The scores will rattle your speakers.

Taking into consideration that this is a reconstruction from various elements, the image quality is generally superb.

A rare treat for the cinephile on Blu-ray, and well worth the price of admission.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I immerse myself with this film from time to time. It has a truly epic feel to it, and some of the set pieces, once seen, cannot be forgotten (the obvious example being the slaying of the dragon).
I almost ordered the UK edition, as it was announced first. But now I think I will go with Kino's, as they have been doing a commendable job with their Blu-ray silents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yllanes