What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As three-strip Technicolor productions go, Anthony Mann's The Naked Spur was heading toward the barn.

As Eastmancolor was introduced, fewer Technicolor were made, the final being The Ladykillers, a 1954 production, released two years after The Naked Spur.

The final couple of years used acetate for the negatives, which strangely can be more problematic than nitrate. Naked Spur is one of them, but you'd never know it.

Naked Spur is yet another of those perfect Warner Archive releases, with a meticulously registered image, and magnificent color.

It's also a very fine western.

No downsides here, and a must for Stewart completists.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk
Makes my day to read Mr Harris review. I have it currently but...saving it. See we got Thanksgiving break coming up, in the blink of an eye really.
and on the day during the break when I have all my students 100 plus speeches graded(online of course, think of it, public speaking, online, what a world) but I digress.
I intend to have a Mann-Stewart Marathon since I know have them all in blu ray now at last. So Starting with Winchester and ending that particular week with Night Passage, ( I know that Mann didn't direct that one but it sure feels like a Mann-Stewart western that I always include it in my mind, and actually it really is a good one. Maybe not great, but def good. ) Spur was the one I thought might never appear so this so far has been a good year. And I know it won't be a disappointment! Old guy pleasures you know. We gotta make the most of em.

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Makes my day to read Mr Harris review. I have it currently but...saving it. See we got Thanksgiving break coming up, in the blink of an eye really.
and on the day during the break when I have all my students 100 plus speeches graded(online of course, think of it, public speaking, online, what a world) but I digress.
I intend to have a Mann-Stewart Marathon since I know have them all in blu ray now at last. So Starting with Winchester and ending that particular week with Night Passage, ( I know that Mann didn't direct that one but it sure feels like a Mann-Stewart western that I always include it in my mind, and actually it really is a good one. Maybe not great, but def good. ) Spur was the one I thought might never appear so this so far has been a good year. And I know it won't be a disappointment! Old guy pleasures you know. We gotta make the most of em.
To my knowledge Winchester is not out yet on Blu-ray. Hope I'm Wrong.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
To my knowledge Winchester is not out yet on Blu-ray. Hope I'm Wrong.
Not yet, but it's available to stream in HD on various services, including iTunes...

1635123549873.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s from the same master as the streaming versions. I bought the streaming version one of the times iTunes had it onsale for $4.99 and I’m very pleased with it.

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk
yes I paid the price for the German version- I need hard copies, here in Big Spring Texas we don't always have the best streaming, mucho buffering. And it do look good. I first saw the remake of Winchester, ( it also has Dan Duryea in it) and didn't like it at all. One night found the original on late night, the midnight movie and loved it. Though it was a snowy picture that was "in and out" . But I loved it. A truly great western. Later I had a poor vhs transfer and it was the film I first bought on laser disc as it had a sorta commentary by Jimmy Stewart. He didn't really say much, the "host" kept asking questions like "theres Tony Curtis, do you remember him?" "Yes. he showed up, knew his words, did his job. Yes he did." That was about it. Jimmy said the same about Rock Hudson and Mcintire. Not a great commentary the host guy really sucked and Jimmy was elderly but the picture for its time was great, but this blu ray is, comparitively amazing. Not as good as Warners if they did the job, I'm sure, but still the best I've seen so far.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Just finished watching the BD of this incredible film. Amazing experience. Everything about this film is top notch…direction, acting, cinematography, the list goes on and on.
Agree with you! It's a revelation and the WBA transfer is amazing. One of my top viewing experiences of anything in 2022.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Agree with you! It's a revelation and the WBA transfer is amazing. One of my top viewing experiences of anything in 2022.

I wish Universal would re-do FAR COUNTRY and BEND OF THE RIVER, both of which have mediocre transfers of Technicolor movies, and give us WINCHESTER 73. Then, Paramount, perhaps you will give us THE TIN STAR. Anthony Mann still hasn't been given the TLC he deserves.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I wish Universal would re-do FAR COUNTRY and BEND OF THE RIVER, both of which have mediocre transfers of Technicolor movies, and give us WINCHESTER 73. Then, Paramount, perhaps you will give us THE TIN STAR. Anthony Mann still hasn't been given the TLC he deserves.
Too little TLC indeed.

Anthony Mann was a very visual film maker, much more so than others so many of his movies will benefit more from a great Blu-ray release than movies of other directors.

Yet really great looking Mann movies like THE LAST FRONTIER, EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE look very bad on Blu-ray and others like THE TIN STAR are missing completely.

Time to change that my dear studios and rights holders.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Too little TLC indeed.

Anthony Mann was a very visual film maker, much more so than others so many of his movies will benefit more from a great Blu-ray release than movies of other directors.

Yet really great looking Mann movies like THE LAST FRONTIER, EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE look very bad on Blu-ray and others like THE TIN STAR are missing completely.

Time to change that my dear studios and rights holders.
And his noirs of course -T MEN and RAW DEAL-both avail in great blu ray transfers. With cinematography by the great John Alton. Visionary stuff. You see that visual style in The Naked Spur. Great compositions and unique non-cliche framing. Every character clearly defined.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
And his noirs of course -T MEN and RAW DEAL-both avail in great blu ray transfers. With cinematography by the great John Alton. Visionary stuff. You see that visual style in The Naked Spur. Great compositions and unique non-cliche framing. Every character clearly defined.
Yes, those are among the really good releases of Mann movies, off the top of my hat:

T-Men
Raw Deal
The Furies
The Naked Spur
Strategic Air Command
The Man From Laramie
Cimarron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks