What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Mississippi Gambler – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This Rudolf Mate directed production from Universal via Kino, The Mississippi Gambler, is a later 3-strip Technicolor production (1953).

If you're seeking the Tyrone Power you loved in the Fox Technicolor epics, this ain't it. His first film post-Fox is a rather pedestrian tale of gambling, romance and a duel. A decent programmer, that some river shots aside reeks of painted backdrops and studio work.

Color is decent, apparently derived from an IP recombine to an older transfer that constantly moves around the screen. Don't look at the edges of the image and you'll be fine.

Is the film worth a proper restoration going back to the OCNs? Probably not, so this will suffice nicely.

Image – 3.5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for this review. I enjoy this film a lot and I'm disappointed the disc doesn't amount to much. I'll now have another session with the DVD-R to see if that'll satisfy me.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thank you for this review. I enjoy this film a lot and I'm disappointed the disc doesn't amount to much. I'll now have another session with the DVD-R to see if that'll satisfy me.
I just sat down with it yesterday, and while not all that it could be, it is far better than the dvd-r that I had bought years ago. So, if you have any love for the title, at least for me...it is worth it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks