What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Maze Runner(s) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You gotta love them dystopian YA series, built upon novels. Built-in audience.

Filmmaker Wes Ball, who seemingly came out of nowhere, but did prime his craft in video graphics and sfx, has created two films, with a third, The Maze Runner: The Death Cure, currently filming.

I had little desire to see these films, as teen angst for me means East of Eden and Rebel.

But I did, as they're early 4k release -- yes, I know, they're uprezzed from 2k data, and I came away impressed with by two films that can carry their storylines for a couple of hours without invoking sleep, and have quality effects.

Young Dylan O'Brien, and his female counterpart, Kaya Scodelario acquit themselves well, and in general the films, especially the first, had me thinking of our old friends Ralph, Jack and Piggy.

The scoop is that in 4k, they do look a bit better than home-grown uprezzed Blu-ray. The UHD factor comes into play, adding to what you'll not find on a vanilla Blu-ray disc.

For those unfamiliar with the production, the huge sets, most specially the maze, in the first film, was constructed at the intersection of Hollywood and Highland, forcing detours for months.

YA films for adults. These work, and they're loud enough, especially in DTS-HD Master to keep things going.

Originally, the theatrical audio presentation was Dolby Atmos, which from what my recent experience has been telling me is a superior format, is lacking on the 4k disc, although things may be changing, as The Peanuts Movie, has been released as such. Possibly a portend of things to come.

Image - 5

Audio - 4.5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks