What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Many Saints of Newark -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The pre-publicity for The Many Saints of Newark, purportedly setting up the entire Sopronos background story has arrived from WB in 4k, and it's an odd bird.

The build-up was for young Michael Gandolfini, whose father did such superb work on the HBO cable series, and who plays the young Anthony.

But his screen time, fine for a new actor, probably amounts to no more than ten minutes on screen with any import.

The film concerns two factions in the '50s and '60s - Italian vs black - and how things didn't exactly work.

There are enough connections to hopefully make fans smile - such as meeting the family as kids and teens, and a brief contact with a teenage Carmela, but the parts didn't seem to add up to anything akin to expectations.

Or possibly my expectations, based on being a fan of the series, may have been two high.

As a 4k disc, Many Saints is just fine.

Shot on with an Arri Alexa with Panavision anamorphics, it looks like film, as it was finished in 4k.

All is well.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

RAH

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed this film. I can understand how many were disappointed if they thought it was going to be an origin story of Tony, but it's really about Christopher's father. (The marketing didn't help in that regard.)

I hope they make more films in the "Sopranos Story" series.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I enjoyed this film. I can understand how many were disappointed if they thought it was going to be an origin story of Tony, but it's really about Christopher's father. (The marketing didn't help in that regard.)

I hope they make more films in the "Sopranos Story" series.
That seems to be more of a Disney thing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know David Chase has said that he wants to write another one with his old Sopranos writer Terry Winter but who knows if or when that will happen. Chase had an "origin" of Hollywood miniseries that would have apparently been very expensive but I hope HBO reconsiders producing it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm so torn on this. I love the young Tony scenes, and that almost makes it worth the purchase. But the more I think about the overall story, it just feels sort of empty.

I'm really enjoying another David Chase involved project right now, Kolchack: The Night Stalker series on BD. And it is so much fun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadilale
Recent bookmarks