What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I’m tempted to delete about a half dozen posts in this thread but I’m leaving them for now. Other mods may over rule. Regardless, move on. And all further personal attacks will be deleted. Mr Harris’s public persona and motives are fair game. Individual posters even semi anonymous ones are not.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What I'm reading into this, is that Mr. Harris is upset that the new transfer of The Godfather has received rave reviews and now his legacy with The Godfather has been overshadowed. If you read through his Godfather posts, he was clearly upset that he was not more involved, hence his callback to the former head of restoration at Paramount, who hasn't worked for the studio in well over a decade. Instead of lashing out against The Godfather, he trashes the next restoration that Paramount releases on disc and then claims the studio doesn't know what they're doing. By raving about the previous team, he cleverly insults The Godfather restoration and current restoration head without outright saying anything bad about either of them. You may think this is a stretch, but I don't think it's far off from the truth.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but take his technical reviews with a grain of salt, as there are clearly other motivations at work here.
Dear “Judy Canova,”

I presume that you either work for Paramount, or have some other axe to grind, as what you’re attempting to allude could not be more incorrect.

The Godfather(s) and Valance are two totally different entities, and neither of these releases involves me or my team.

For whatever reason, Paramount has created a digital slap in the face to the wishes of a cinematographer, for whose memory I have great respect.

Likewise, Valance shows a lack of respect by the studio. Someone has taken a magnificent work, by artists that even they should recognize as a decent director, and a reasonably talented cinematographer, and destroyed the original look of their work.

For the record, Valance is not new. It is not a “next” restoration, nor is it a restoration in any way, shape or form. This is an old master, a re-tread. If you knew anything, you’d see this, and realize that professionally performed film restoration is no Louisiana hayride.

My motivations are to preserve our film heritage as those films were originally seen, and not as studio reps wish them to be seen.

Screw up our film heritage, and expect me to be vocal.

Please begone, and keep your attempts at psychological analysis where they belong.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’m tempted to delete about a half dozen posts in this thread but I’m leaving them for now. Other mods may over rule. Regardless, move on. And all further personal attacks will be deleted. Mr Harris’s public persona and motives are fair game. Individual posters even semi anonymous ones are not.
Sam,

Is it no longer correct that new members must use their true identities?

Ms. Canova died in 1983.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam,

Is it no longer correct that new members must use their true identities?

Ms. Canova died in 1983.
The only requirement is to use a valid first name. It doesn’t have to be your legal name. I suspect there are more than a few Judy Canovas in the world for what it’s worth.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
But only as handles - not in the Real Name field, no?
Again we ask people to use a real first name in that field. Its a courtesy. It’s not something anyone can or is going be able to adjudicate. Is using a first and last name in that field that isn’t your real legal name against its spirit? Sure. Is it something we are going to target posters over? Not in my understanding but you are welcome to mail [email protected] if it’s bugging you.

Doing so to target a (new) poster for expressing a controversial opinion over a public figure is unlikely to get much traction imo but do as you will.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I take a night off and all hell breaks out. :D
Brings back wonderful memories of constant attacks from someone else, who purported to be a Sony exec, over at the other site.

There’s something inequitable about being attacked by someone hiding behind a false name.

Took Mr. Crisp to speak out and unmask that one.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Brings back wonderful memories of constant attacks from someone else, who purported to be a Sony exec, over at the other site.

There’s something inequitable about being attacked by someone hiding behind a false name.

I assume you're talking about the "insider" who turned out to just be the neighbor to an actual Sony exec? My lord, was he ever arrogant about the little fiefdom of followers he'd accumulated on that site.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I assume you're talking about the "insider" who turned out to just be the neighbor to an actual Sony exec? My lord, was he ever arrogant about the little fiefdom of followers he'd accumulated on that site.
Seemed for aeons. And no one over there caught on. It was only after Mr. Crisp blew his cover that the site shut things down, and backed away with tail between legs for supporting him.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Did he learn that trick from the Sony guy who pretended to be a movie critic to give Rob Schneider crap good ad copy?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks