What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The extraordinary Billy Wilder, who is known for his frothy masterpieces, goes in a slightly different direction with his 1945 c.
While not for the faint of heart, nor those seeking something more delectably frivolous, it resides as a pleasant companion piece to the The Days of Wine and Roses, which as most will acknowledge
concerns neither wine nor roses.
My recommendation, especially for those unfamiliar, is to just go there.
After all, it was the Best Picture of 1945.
Don’t be concerned with the “New 4k Master” terminology, as this relates to preserving the finest surviving element in that digital space, even those there isn’t 4k information in the frames.
Presumably mastered from a fine grain, it’s fine, albeit the tiniest bit soft, but that may also be the way that it was shot by the wonderful John Seitz (Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd.).
Audio is fine.
There’s a bit of movement within the frame, but nothing problematic – it actually gives more of an authentic film look. Black...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Just grab a copy, and be depressed. Almost forgot, score is by someone named Rozsa.

Interesting fact, Rózsa actually considered his score for this film better than the score that actually won him the Oscar that year (for Hitchcock’s Spellbound).

Glad to hear this got your seal of approval, Mr. Harris, and am looking forward to getting this Blu-ray edition.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, but did he really kick the booze? I reckon some time after the end titles, & after a few weeks of looking at a blank sheet of paper, that bottle of Rye (the cheap stuff) started to look very good. A great film, Ray Milland is fantastic, as is everyone, including the great Howard Da Silva "One's too many an' a hundred's not enough".

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
By chance I saw Frank Faylen the other day in an uncredited bit part in The Palm Beach Story where he plays a cab driver who agrees to take Claudette Colbert free of charge.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I’m not sure I ever watched the Eureka/MoC Blu I’ve had sitting here for several years. Just checked, and that one was a “new HD master”, not 4k. I’m guessing this is likely worth the additional dip...?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I’m not sure I ever watched the Eureka/MoC Blu I’ve had sitting here for several years. Just checked, and that one was a “new HD master”, not 4k. I’m guessing this is likely worth the additional dip...?
I have the MOC. To my eyes, it looks like the same master as the DVD. Nice contrast, decent grain & more or less filmic but occasional movement in the frame and other flaws, including overtones that appear electronic. Also in need of cleanup. I would think the Kino would be superior. Anyway, I have it on order.

I would hold on to the MOC however, as it contains the complete version of Volker Schlondorf's feature length interview with Wilder, "Billy How Did You Do It?"

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Not to be greedy, but as Kino Lorber knows full well we films buffs are an insatiable and undeniably wish-listing lovable lot. In fact, one of our notable charms is that whenever there’s an announcement of a long-awaited title we, without batting an eye, unabashedly ask for more. It’s what we do and it’s who we are. So, in order to not be labeled hypocritical, I must now officially turn myself in; as I, too, am now among the guilty and am clearly about to do the same.

After today’s delivery of my own copy of “The Lost Weekend”, I re-reviewed the Billy Wilder filmography to see what was sequentially missing from my own collection and have spied five more titles that I should like to formally request; as, quite possibly, each may fall into the realm of a Kino acquisition.

Midnight (1939) - Paramount
What a Life (1939) - Paramount
Rhythm on the River (1940) - Paramount
Arise, My Love (1940) - Paramount*
The Emperor Waltz (1948) - Paramount*

Meanwhile, my thanks to Kino Lorber for being the foremost distributor and champion of the Billy Wilder canon.:thumbs-up-smiley:

*Oscar nominated

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Just so we are clear here - "MIdnight" was helmed by the under-rated director, Mitchell Leisen, with a Wilder/Brackett script. I agree that it deserves a Blu-ray release - it's a frothy gem of a film.
So was Arise My Love. Of the films listed in Post 13, only The Emperor Waltz was directed by Billy Wilder.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
So was Arise My Love. Of the films listed in Post 13, only The Emperor Waltz was directed by Billy Wilder.
Hopefully my post was not misleading, as I feel that a scripted film by Billy Wilder from his nearest turning point period is also of quality and importance. I was very glad to see that Kino gave us Bluebeard’s 8th Wife (1938); written, but not directed, by Billy Wilder.

Six scripts between 1938-40.

My goodness, Mr. Wilder was really batting ‘em out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks