What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just one more week to go before the American BD release of "The Lion in Winter".
Being still on the fence - in my case, over the sync question - I'm eagerly awaiting the other reviews.
Deep down inside, I'm truly hoping that the scales will be tipped towards KL's favor.
We shall see.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just one more week to go before the American BD release of "The Lion in Winter".
Being still on the fence - in my case, over the sync question - I'm eagerly awaiting the other reviews.
Deep down inside, I'm truly hoping that the scales will be tipped towards KL's favor.
We shall see.

Sync is extremely minor, and will not be noted by the majority of viewers. If you find it disturbing, you can always advance or retard, as needed, via your player.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Sync is extremely minor, and will not be noted by the majority of viewers. If you find it disturbing, you can always advance or retard, as needed, via your player.
Being that your discerning eye had uncovered the disparities between Rex Harrison and the rest of the "My Fair Lady" cast; where sync was involved; I would be foolish not to take your well advised cue. Many thanks.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Being that both "The Shape of Water" and "The Lion in Winter" will be released on the same day, I find it telling that of the two; with one in native 4K and the other not; that my own inner cravings would still prefer to pounce upon the latter, first.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Being that your discerning eye had uncovered the disparities between Rex Harrison and the rest of the "My Fair Lady" cast; where sync was involved; I would be foolish not to take your well advised cue. Many thanks.

Only in musical numbers...

Reactions: PMF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’ve yet to own a player or receiver with “advance” capabilities. Only audio DELAY which can compensate when the audio is ahead of the image but not behind it, which is mainly meant to be used for slow pixel response. And “retard” is politically incorrect. :D

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Only in musical numbers...
Wouldn't the synch issues with musical numbers in "My Fair Lady" have to do with the fact that Rex Harrison was reportedly recorded "live" via a microphone hidden in the Windsor knot of his necktie (according to the "making of" documentary that accompanied the earlier DVD)? If that's the case, Harrison probably looked like he was synched perfectly in the musical numbers, whereas the rest of the cast (mostly dubbed)may have looked "rubbery" in their audio delivery.

Last edited:

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I’ve yet to own a player or receiver with “advance” capabilities. Only audio DELAY which can compensate when the audio is ahead of the image but not behind it, which is mainly meant to be used for slow pixel response. And “retard” is politically incorrect. :D
My Denon AVR receiver has an "Audio Delay" feature that can add or subtract (via numerical values) the delivery of the audio. I would imagine most, if not all, Denon receivers have this feature. I rarely use it when playing DVD's, but Blu-rays sometimes need a slight adjustment (in the negative direction).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Wouldn't the synch issues with musical numbers in "My Fair Lady" have to do with the fact that Rex Harrison was reportedly recorded "live" via a microphone hidden in the Windsor knot of his necktie (according to the "making of" documentary that accompanied the earlier DVD)? If that's the case, Harrison probably looked like he was synched perfectly in the musical numbers, whereas the rest of the cast (mostly dubbed)may have looked "rubbery" in their audio delivery.
By George, I think he's got it.
OR: "Let the others of my sex, tie the knot around their necks".;)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Word has it that Anthony Hopkins worked during the day in "The Lion in Winter", while in the evening he performed in a West End production of Shakespeare.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
IMHO, 1968's true Oscar race for Best Actor was between Ron Moody in "Oliver!" and Peter O' Toole in "The Lion in Winter".
I suspect that Cliff Robertson's win was due mostly to a splitting of the votes.
Any takers on that idea?
I agree. I suspect more than a few winners were because of split votes.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Looking forward to Tuesday.

Last edited:

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
I don't know what Kino's looks like, but I have the 2017 French BD release of The Lion in Winter (which uses the same material than the UK one) and it indeed doesn't seem very good looking.

It looks closer to a pre-existing HD master than a newer 4K restoration. It is quite smooth, lacks the typical fine grain that 4K restorations have, has frequent color fluctuations and most surprisingly to me is quite dirtier than your typical 4K restoration, with lots of small scratches and dust specks that 4K restorations extremely rarely display nowadays.

If this is a brand new 4K restoration, something went very wrong somewhere.

Here are a few caps :

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Rex for My Fair lady, did the same as he did in Dr. Doolittle. he used his live recording only as a guide track and went back in and post dubbed the vocals. The production logs for Lady at USC confirm this and give the dates.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
IMHO, 1968's true Oscar race for Best Actor was between Ron Moody in "Oliver!" and Peter O' Toole in "The Lion in Winter".
I suspect that Cliff Robertson's win was due mostly to a splitting of the votes.
Any takers on that idea?

My own theory concerning that 1968 Best Actor Oscar competition is that since Cliff Robertson was known as a nice guy in the Hollywood community, PLUS, he was an American, Mr Robertson simply won a popularity contest. Sort of reminds me of high school contests for Class President, in which the guys who reap the most votes are often popular members of one, or more, of their school's sports teams, and end up defeating much more accomplished scholars to win the title of Class President. (And BTW, no, I never ran for any type of office when I was in school, but was actually quite a goof-off when it came to academics, and was on just one team, the Lacrosse team, which I had to leave after a month, anyway, due to health reasons.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks