What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Limey -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Limey, directed by Steven Soderbergh, and released in 1999 is one of those films that has more going on just beneath the surface than one might recognize at first glance. Some of the niceties are brought to the fore by the work of DP Ed Lachman, where he places his camera and how the scene is set up. But keep in mind that Mr. S also knows his way around a camera.

One of the truly frightening things about The Limey is how Terence Stamp plays his rather pissed off character. Make no mistake, you want to piss off Mr. Stamp about as much as Liam Neeson.

I'll not get into the details of the film, but suffice to say it's worth your time for the deceptively short 89 minutes running time.

For those who collect these discs, this is one with possible investment potential. I don't guarantee it, but it's possible that purchasing a few dozen - it's a Best Buy exclusive - could have you proudly walking up to a fast food counter and requesting the "big" fries.

The thing here is that...

A. It's a steelbook. And you know how home video collector feel about steelbooks, and;

B. It comes wrapped in a heavy mylar (or similar are earth substance) sleeve.

The obverse of the steelbook is a close up of Mr. Stamp, with the smoke of hell being emitted from his lips, while the reverse seems to be an actual image of the hell he has created.

The transparent / print cover is emblazoned in red with vertical stripes, while the reverse has the title of the film, and all technical information.

For those who care about the quality of the image, it betrays none of the plasticky textures of the outer shell, and actually takes on more of the appearance of a 35mm print.

Proper grain, presumably proper color which is toned down at times. Just a lovely image courtesy of Lionsgate.

For those who may have missed the film until now, you're in for a treat.

Image - 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If nothing else -- and everything else was definitely worth it (this is arguably Soderbergh's most underrated film) -- this release was a delight because of the inclusion of subtitles that allow one to have a hope in understanding much of Stamp's dialogue. The Artisan DVD had no subtitles or captions. The same problem existed with Bob Hoskins's accent in the Artisan DVD of Atom Egoyan's Felicia's Journey.

I found it delightfully appropriate that when Stamp gives this long, thick-accented diatribe to Bill Duke's character, Duke gives the laconic response, "There's just one thing I don't understand; every fucking word you just said."

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is such a great film. Everyone in it shines in their roles, but Stamp definitely owns the movie. And yeah, that scene with Duke is a gem. I've found that after seeing The Limey a few times, Stamp's cockney accent becomes easy to understand. The issue is grasping the exact meaning of all the street slang he uses, but that's part of his character's charm. The steelbook release is indeed a really nice package and I'm very happy to finally have this on-disc in 4K.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I've found that after seeing The Limey a few times, Stamp's cockney accent becomes easy to understand. The issue is grasping the exact meaning of all the street slang he uses, but that's part of his character's charm. The steelbook release is indeed a really nice package and I'm very happy to finally have this on-disc in 4K.

True enough about it being more the slang than the accent itself, though unfamiliarity with the words does make it harder to understand what words he's saying. I think the same is true of the infamous "American dub" of Mad Max. Everyone would joke about Americans not being able to understand the Aussie accents, but when I had finally heard the original dialogue track, I thought it was more about the Aussie slang than the accents.

At any rate, the movie is wonderful, the 4K was wonderful, and now I don't have to keep wondering why Lionsgate never released it on Blu-ray (at least, here in the States).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I also love the way he growls "Tell him I'm cominnnggg!!" into the camera.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Huge fan of this film, I picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I believe the legend on this is when it was released it went relatively unnoticed. Over time it has built a cult following and filmmakers appear to be huge fans of it. Obviously, Soderbergh is a big fan of Boorman's Point Blank and it shows in this picture.

Cockney rhyming slang can take a bit to get used to but once grasped is a lot of fun and if you are like me you will find yourself using it, particularly to throw off people you've just met.

Brush up a bit here and try it around the house or office and this picture will go down nice, that's my lump of ice:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think you'll find Mr. Soderbergh has made films far far faaaaaaaaaaaar more underrated than The Limey even if it did come out right before his mainstream and awards season breakthrough year of 2000. The Underneath and Kafka come to mind.

I love Kafka and hope someone does us right with that one on a Blu and/or 4K. I have a solid DVD of the picture I imported from...um...somewhere.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
We are so lucky to have worthy UHDs of this one, and ‘Out of Sight’. Two of my favorites from Soderbergh, and I didn’t really expect either of them to show up on UHD. Sometimes these kinds of arrivals are a bigger treat to have than an all-out classic.

And though it’s in a different realm altogether, it’s great to hear that ‘Bug’ from William Friedkin will be released early next year. Another one I didn’t expect to see.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
No release in Canada and Best Buy USA won't to ship to Canada. Best Buy Canada refuse to stock it. You have no idea how hard it is being a physical media fan in this country. The former 4K UHD section in my local Walmart is now filled with DVD's, despite it being more than a quarter century since the last standard definition TV rolled off the assembly lines. Ended up purchasing the Blu Ray of The Limey from the UK, supposedly based on the same recent 4K master.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The clips of young Terence Stamp are identified as lifted from Poor Cow.
I wonder how many HTF members knew that before the end credits; how many have actually seen the film; and how many saw it upon release?
Poor Cow is one film I'd like to see again. Haven't seen it since it came out. It's an excellent film, and both Stamp and Carol White are so young and appealing. Tough film, as I recall.
And The Limey is a superb film. What a WOW transfer!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I wonder how many HTF members knew that before the end credits; how many have actually seen the film; and how many saw it upon release?
Poor Cow is one film I'd like to see again. Haven't seen it since it came out. It's an excellent film, and both Stamp and Carol White are so young and appealing. Tough film, as I recall.
Well, Poor Cow is available on an excellent blu-ray in the UK. A typically decent StudioCanal restoration. Highly recommended.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I knew it from back when The Limey was first released. It was talked about here and there at the time. Still haven't seen Poor Cow yet, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azy
Recent bookmarks