What's new

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I'd have walked out too (or at least kicked a chair over :))! Yes to 2001 A Space Odyssey, Rosemary's Baby, Oliver!, Petulia, Planet Of The Apes, Pretty Poison, Shame, The Swimmer but The Lion In Winter? Really?

Wasn't Adler a huge backer of Cassavettes' "Faces" during the NYFCC voting that year ?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wasn't Adler a huge backer of Cassavettes' "Faces" during the NYFCC voting that year ?
I thought I recalled she was pushing for Shame, but to storm out because your choice isn't the winner is the epitome of sour grapes/sore loser in my view. Seems like Shame did win the National Society of Film Critics' vote.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I watched "Sister George" last night expecting the worst... image wise. The PQ was a quantum leap over the DVD. For me it looked great .
I saw it opening day ( A Christmas release ) in a 1200 seat theater.( sold out) It was my first X rated film.
I enjoyed watching it with a better understanding than I did at 16.
Susannah York was a great actress.

Last edited:

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I thought I recalled she was pushing for Shame, but to storm out because your choice isn't the winner is the epitome of sour grapes/sore loser in my view. Seems like Shame did win the National Society of Film Critics' vote.

Now you know why she was senior film critic at the NY Times for only one year !

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did some research this morning, and you are absolutely right. She was a big supporter of Faces; that was the film she resigned her membership over when it came up short in the voting.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
If they ever made a movie about John Simon, it sure wouldn't have the word "love" in it.

And if it's Pauline Kael you're citing, then by all means let's rewrite history. Ray Carney, film professor at Boston University, once said of her "she wasn't interested in art; she was a connoisseur of kitsch."
She was also extremely angry and condescending .

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
She was also extremely angry and condescending .

I had the good fortune to meet Kael briefly in the late 1970s when she came to give a lecture at UC Berkeley and I can assure you she was anything but angry (unless you confuse passion with anger). She was actually rather demure but she was blunt which offends people when that bluntness is aimed at their movie darlings. That's what I loved about her. She wasn't hesitant about shooting down sacred cows and critics darlings and believe you me, she trashed some of my all time favorite movies too. I also knew two of her close friends (one of them cited several times in Kael's biography A Life In The Dark) who regaled me with Kael stories (which I won't repeat since they were told to me in confidence) and she was a fascinating complex woman.

As for condescending, let's be honest. Some people (and movies) deserve to be condescended to. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
She lectured at a film history class I took at USC (in SC, not CA) and, as Thomas said, she was blunt but I found also a trifle nervous to be the focus of so many eyes. I read every book of hers (since I wasn't a subscriber of The New Yorker throughout her long tenure there, I bought the books to make sure I hadn't missed anything) and the biography, too.

She was astute and insightful, but she had her pets and prejudices like all critics do, and I found her much less knowledgeable about musicals (my favorite genre) than about other genres so her opinions on those were often, I felt, misdirected, misinformed, or misguided. But you can't be an expert on everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks