What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Informer (1929) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This one was a discovery film for me.

Although I've always been a fan of Mr. Ford's 1935 The Informer, with the brilliant Victor McLaglen, as Gypo Nolan, I was unaware that there was a 1929 UK version, based upon the same source novel by Liam O'Flaherty.

Directed by Arthur Robison, the film follows essentially the same story line, inclusive of the church sendoff with the victim's mother, but is offered by Kino in two different flavours - sound, and silent, with occasional dialogue.

I prefer the silent, which also happens to have received a restoration.

For those who may also be unaware, it's an eye-opener.

Image - 4.5

Audio - n/a

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm glad of this, and should receive it within a week. I also like the Ford version, but I just don't see WAC doing a restoration of it anytime soon -- hasn't the popularity of KONG or the Lewton's, etc.. The film always looked awful on laser and DVD as it was an early RKO. Don't know if an ON is in existence. In the meanwhile, this silent edition should be satisfying.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
@Robert Harris , your auto correct strikes again. The director of this fine version of The Informer is Arthur Robison, no "n." I saw this film (silent version) in the '70s courtesy of Bill Everson. I've been an outspoken fan of it ever since. The sound version is an interesting curio. I viewed the British release of this disc, not the Kino, and I hated the music over the silent version.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Although I've always been a fan of Mr. Ford's 1935 The Informer[...]
I was unaware that there was a 1929 UK version[...]
Can't wait to see this one.
Now, if only Kino could pair it with Ford's version in a future release.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks