What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Hunger Games (series of four films) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Hunger Games, to me, the best YA series in recent memory, is of interest here, as during the few years in which it was in production, technology advanced on both visual as well as aural fronts.

The original Blu-rays of the four films (The Hunger Games - 2012, Catching Fire - 2013, Mockingjay 1 - 2014, and finally Mockingjay 2 - 2015) gave us audio in DTS-HD MA 7.1 for the first two films, and Dolby Atmos for parts three and four.

The Hunger Games was shot on film on an Arri in 35/3, and completed as a 2k DI, before being taken to HD,

Catching Fire was also film-based, shot with an Arri in 35/3, but finished as a 4k DI.

Mockingjay - Part 1 was fully digital. Shot with an Array Alexa in 2.8k, and also finished in 4k

Mockingjay - Part 2 - ditto.

Now that the four films have been released in 4k UHD / HDR by Lionsgate, one really has the chance to take a close look at the four, compare and contrast, and find the technical differences.

And they are visible.

For audio, the four 4k releases give us full Dolby Atmos for the first time on all four films.

I've spent some quality time examining the new 4ks, and here's what I've come away with .

The apparent up-rez from films 2-4, is visibly greater than that of 1.

While HDR helps all four, adding a bit of extra "pop," 2-4 are far more highly resolved overall.

The addition of Dolby Atmos, also adds that extra bit of visceral involvement to the first two, and yes, you can hear the difference in the specific placement across the proscenium.

The bottom line here, is that fans of the series will find an absolute, and very obvious, uptick in image quality across all four films, and audio for the first two.

For the uninitiated Lionsgate has made the series a bit more user friendly by annotating the packaging with a small 1,2,3,4, just so that new viewers get the films in the correct order.

Those purchasing the entire set, may initially find Catching Fire in short supply, but one must presume that very shortly, enough copies will be available to service immediate needs. If you're looking for the series, and don't find Fire, I'd grab 1, 3 and 4, and pick up 2 next week, if you can't find it with immediacy.

Technically, the films look superb via Sony projection, especially with the latest firmware, with all flags properly initiating 4k, HDR and other tech specs to perfection.

Upgrade from Blu-ray is recommended.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Catching Fire was also film-based, shot with an Arri in 35/3, but finished as a 4k DI.

It's worth noting that a substantial portion of Catching Fire (approximately 48 minutes) was shot with IMAX 15/70 film cameras and originally exhibited at 1.44:1 in IMAX film locations and 1.90:1 in IMAX digital locations. When Katniss is being raised into the arena, the frame expands vertically in a dramatic fashion, and the entire arena sequence is enhanced with the extra height of the frame.

The original Blu-ray of Catching Fire retained the IMAX framing. From what I've read on HTF, the UHD version does not.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The bulk of Catching Fire (IE: scenes not in the arena when it goes full IMAX) was shot in conventional 35mm anamorphic. NOT 3-Perf.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, shoot. Looks like I'll be spending some more money.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Why is this rated a PASS when it also 'RECOMMENDED'?

EDIT: My bad, I was reading 'pass' as in 'pass on this one' rather than 'it passes'

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
FYI.... Best Buy has the 4K four-film box set (all 4 Hunger Games films in 4K) on sale (starting today) for $44.99. That's $11.25 each.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-hu...ra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray/5691900.p?skuId=5691900

The set is sold out online but it's available for in-store pickup. I purchased my set this morning and picked it up this afternoon.

I had all four 4K films on price watch, waiting for a $10 price before double-dipping. But $11.25 is close enough. Since I already redeemed the digital codes from the standard Blu-ray versions (and this 4K boxed set includes HD digital codes, not 4K digital codes), I am considering selling the HD digital copy codes to help offset some of the cost.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks