What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The House on 92nd Street -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Henry Hathaway's The House on 92nd Street, which was released just post-WWII, is an interesting film, from a number of perspectives.

It's a blend of police (FBI really) procedural, with a decidedly documentary bent to it. Look at the films of producer Louis De Rochemont, and you'll find the heritage.

It's opening is virtually all narrated set-up, which is a slow means of beginning a film. In this case, it seems to be the entire first reel. Sometime I may watch the film beginning with reel two, remove the entire explanation, and see how it plays.

Starring the short-careered William Eythe, backed by Lloyd Nolan, Signe Hasso, Gene Lockhart and Leo G. Carroll, the film must have worked better in 1945 than it does today, but it's still an interesting oddity. Many bits are played by actual non-pros, who are FBI agents, and we get to see some of the inner-workings of the Bureau of that era.

That's reprised in The Street with No Name a few years later, with Mr. Nolan playing the same character.

Look for a young E.G. Marshall in his first screen appearance as the morgue attendant, along with other Fox contract players of the era.

As a Blu-ray disc, it's a very nice affair, without many problems. Black levels and shadow detail are more than acceptable, and the disc has an overall cohesive image.

Image - 3.75

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A big Lloyd Nolan fan here! Another Hathaway documentary style film that I always enjoyed, particular due to Signe Hasso's character. I'm looking forward to having this title on Blu-ray.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Very much looking forward to this. My favorite noir films are the documentary-like, shot on location films like this, Call Northside 777, Panic in the Streets, Boomerang, etc. Pre-ordered...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks