What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Hot Spot – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Dennis Hopper's The Hot Spot, released in 1990, is one of those special noir films shot in color, which absolutely changes things up. Gone are the deep threatening shadows, as the story plays out in sunlight. But the characters still get into the same mess.

Kino's new Blu-ray is a quality release that works on all levels, with zero problems in sight.

Roger Ebert made special note of the noir characteristics of the film in his October, 1990 review - he gets it!

"A film this simple can best be appreciated by a fairly sophisticated viewer, I think. Your average workaday moviegoer will relate to it on Level One and think it contains cliches and stereotypes. Only movie lovers who have marinated their imaginations in the great B movies from RKO and Republic will recognize "The Hot Spot" as a superior work in an old tradition - as a manipulation of story elements as mannered and deliberate, in its way, as variations on a theme for the piano." - Roger Ebert

And right there is the reason to pick up a copy and upgrade from your DVD.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Absolutely

RAH

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I've been waiting for a decent iteration of this. Thanks!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've been waiting for a decent iteration of this. Thanks!
I think the DVD which I re-watched a few days ago is pretty decent. From Mr. Harris' review, this Blu-ray disc is a substantial upgrade.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Have taken Mr Harris' advice, but taken it a step further and upgraded the CD soundtrack as well!
IMG_4560.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks