What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No need to discuss a great deal about the film.

In short The Hallelujah Trail is a huge production, released in 1965 in Ultra Panavision 70 - 2.76. Originally 165 minutes. The new Blu-ray is derived from a 35mm scope IP at 2.35, and is the shortened 156 minute version, inclusive of music.

There was an earlier release in 2018 by Olive, which was close to VHS quality, so I presume readers would like to know if the Kino is any better or the same transfer.

Not a simple answer, as it may be based upon the same transfer, but all similarities end there.

Kino's new release is a high quality affair with audio in 5.1 as opposed to 2.0 stereo, and the data throughput is a "bit" higher.

I spot-checked one section of the Olive which was running at around 9-10,
vs the Kino which constantly runs in the mid-20s.

Bottom line, the difference is night and day. I believe most viewers will be thrilled with Kino's new effort.

Image – 4

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from earlier Blu-ray – No contest!

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
There was an earlier release in 2018 by Olive, which was close to VHS quality, so I presume readers would like to know if the Kino is any better or the same transfer.

Not a simple answer, as it may be based upon the same transfer, but all similarities end there.

Kino said their transfer is based on the 2020 release on Prime and HDNet, The difference is Kino has the Overture, Intermission and Exit music. On the Laser Disc the overture and exit were the same.

Olive Blu-ray
1668989030709.png

HDNet broadcast
1668989151100.png

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Thank you for this encouraging review.
Despite its many flaws I really enjoy the film and will be adding the Kino version to my collecation.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I like MS Tiffin in "State Fair" working opposite Bobby Darrin. And I believe she got to sing the Academy Award Winning Song "It Might As Well Be Spring" ( or someone sang for her; can't remember). It's a lovely performance.

1669315816595.png

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
“Although some sources list Marie Greene as having dubbed the singing voice of Pamela Tiffin, it was actually Anita Gordon, who would later provide similar assistance to Jean Seberg in Paint Your Wagon (1969).”
- per IMDb

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
One of my favorite show biz anecdotes is from Andre Previn. He had to find a voice for Jean Seberg in Paint Your Wagon. He thought back to a singer he once knew who he thought might be a good match. He picked up the phone in what I assume was the LA area and called information to get her phone number. He asked for the number of Anita Gordon and he was somewhat taken aback when she asked immediately 'Who is this?' The operator was Anita Gordon.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
If you look at the trivia for PAINT YOUR WAGON on IMDB you'll see that Alan Lerner claimed that he found and employed her. We've obviously read the same marvellous book, Andre Previn's NO MINOR CHORDS, and I believe his version.

I had a curious experience with both of the huge Cinerama comedies: HALLELUJAH and MAD ..... I saw them both in sparsely attended huge theatres and somehow the overwhelming scale made them depressingly unfunny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks