What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Grifters -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stephen Frears' first production in the Colonies, The Grifters (1990), arrives on Blu-ray here (it's been out in the UK for a while) from Echo Bridge's Miramax collection, in decent form. Derived from an IP, this bright, sunlit, anti-noir noir, has nicely rendered textures for a Blu-ray, while not being perfect. While I've complained about some of the Olive releases for needed a bit of digital cleaning, The Grifters, could use at least a bit. Occasional emulsions scratches could have easily been cleaned up to achieve a more cohesive image. Emulsion scratches do not count towards a cinema-like look. I love the characters in this film, and the way that they're played with precision. Stephen Tobolowsky and Henry Jones are stand-outs in the supporting cast. A very nice film, and a decent Blu-ray. Image - 3.5 Audio - 4 (2.0 stereo, presumably Dolby encoded and the basis of the SVA track) RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When I saw The Grifters in the theater, the projectionist didn't matte it correctly, and I frequently saw the boom mic over the heads of the actors. Talk about taking one out of the realm of the movie. Years later seeing it on video, I felt like I was seeing it for the first time. Terrific movie!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by MattH.
When I saw The Grifters in the theater, the projectionist didn't matte it correctly, and I frequently saw the boom mic over the heads of the actors. Talk about taking one out of the realm of the movie. Years later seeing it on video, I felt like I was seeing it for the first time. Terrific movie!
MUST be matted 1.85. Strangely, the main is 1.66. Wondering if theatrically, some projectionists would do a quick aperture swap after MT?
Odd.
RAH

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent Mumford
In case the message isn't clear, The Grifters is a fantastic movie, especially if you like noir, neo-noir, superb acting, razor-sharp storytelling, ruthless survivors, sympathetic rubes, and Anjelica Huston as the warmest, most loving mother a boy could hope for.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Trentrunner said:
Anjelica Huston as the warmest, most loving mother a boy could hope for.
Isn't she though?:P I love this film. It was a fixture on HBO back when, and I watched it many times. I can't wait to see it on Blu-Ray.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Is the Image Quality significantly better than that of the late '90s DVD? While the BD is very cheap, is it worth replacing the original DVD?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Bill McCamy said:
Is the Image Quality significantly better than that of the late '90s DVD? While the BD is very cheap, is it worth replacing the original DVD?
I'd save the money, and spend it on something else. That $5 can be used toward a Blu-ray that hasn't been on DVD.

Not into double, triple dipping.

RAH

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Amazon is finally shipping this to me with my preorder price of $4.99But they are now charging $13.49 for it.I haven't seen this movie since it's laserdisc days.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Finally had an excuse to watch this tonight. Great credits. :)

Img_0516.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Unfortunately, I think RAH's 3.5 score for video is pretty generous. I wouldn't go above 2.5. Detail is fairly decent, but (as he noted) there are a lot of dirt and scratches on the source, and the image is plagued by bad scanner noise and compression problems.

I'm glad I only paid $5 for it, because it looks like a $5 disc. Poor treatment for a great movie.

I'd be curious to find out if the Region B edition from Studio Canal is any better.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Grifters-Blu-ray-John-Cusack/dp/B002BD9DP2

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
This movie deserves a much better transfer then it has been given in the past, but I'm afraid were in for more of the same.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
At $10, I'm tempted to buy, but what's the expert opinion here of the likelihood that this is a different/better transfer than the previous blu-ray release (which I already own)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks