What's new

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Singing in the Rain was just another Gene Kelly MGM musical. It's very easy to see that in the context of its time no matter how venerated it is now. The best thing about it to this day and I've seen it dozens of times from Radio City Music Hall(so spectacular that Vincent Canby wrote a New York Times prominent Sunday Arts and Leisure section essay about it the weekend after it had opened that Thursday 'Stop the presses!' calling it a gilt-edged presentation) to countless revival houses often with excellent prints is Jean Hagan's performance which was indeed noted with an Oscar nomination.

Last edited:

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I think that's generous. That movie includes maybe 45 minutes of actual story/character material - MAYBE!
In the UK we no longer have Circuses with animals [ lions tigers elephants and so on ] due to animal cruelty so this movie is really a reminder of what we in UK once had. They were hugely popular and were always 'sold out '

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
On the other hand, "Show" feels like a long commercial for the circus.

A little of that material goes a long way, and "Show" just overdoes it...

I'm more than old enough to have seen the Ringling Brothers B&B Circus live, but I never did. This movie is the closest thing to my being able to see it now. In fact, it's the closest thing that most anyone will get to seeing that circus presented as it originally was. They had pretty much (if not completely) stopped showing it in their big tents by 1960 or thereabouts, moving to stadiums and such.

If you want to argue that it's not all that remarkable as a piece of cinema, well, you might have a point. But as a piece of entertainment, it's delightful (in my opinion).

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Into the 70s it was still hugely popular in NY coming every spring to MSG for two months. I saw it last in the 80s where it was considerably less than sold out. In fact like ice shows it might have stopped coming to Manhattan all together and just played in the suburban arenas.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Round Table starts out with lousy SFX and goes down from there. It's like watching paint dry. I find Ivanhoe quite rousing, with Elizabeth Taylor looking more beautiful than ever.

The Oscars are sometimes given to who's popular, sometimes to who's best, sometimes to who's up and coming, sometimes to whoever never got one and should have. The voting is so subjective it should be no surprise that a movie like TGSOE won over far greater films that eventually became recognized as classics.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm more than old enough to have seen the Ringling Brothers B&B Circus live, but I never did. This movie is the closest thing to my being able to see it now. In fact, it's the closest thing that most anyone will get to seeing that circus presented as it originally was. They had pretty much (if not completely) stopped showing it in their big tents by 1960 or thereabouts, moving to stadiums and such.

If you want to argue that it's not all that remarkable as a piece of cinema, well, you might have a point. But as a piece of entertainment, it's delightful (in my opinion).

Obviously beauty/eye/etc., and I get the "time capsule" thing.

I wasn't alive in 1952 but I saw the circus a few times as a kid in the 70s and enjoyed it. I'd be horrified by that same show now because of the animal treatment, but hardly anyone thought about that 45 years ago.

Anyway, I understand why some may enjoy the ability to either see a now-gone form of entertainment or indulge in nostalgia for circus visits of their yoot.

In that vein, I'd prefer an actual documentary about the circus, not a 2.5-hour movie that aspires to tell a character-based narrative but ends up being a very long commercial for said circus! ;)

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If only it were in Cinerama.

In the end, though, it really doesn’t matter what wins or loses Best Picture; but, rather, that all 5 nominees are preserved and still with us to this day.

BTW, I am also a fan of The Greatest Showman which didn’t even get nominated for Best Picture. So, there it is for The Big-Top themed films. Win some, loose some.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
.. I find Ivanhoe quite rousing, with Elizabeth Taylor looking more beautiful than ever.
She does look beautiful and there are some action sequences but, I wouldn't want to watch it again. TGSOE I have watched many times.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It is now three weeks since it's release, and no-one (apart from Amazon and a few Bullmoose retail stores) has had this in stock. Does anyone know what is going on with this title?

My DeepDiscount order ($8.60 cheaper than current Amazon) is still listed as Backorder.

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
0BF3A455-CDFC-4617-B465-D86D9AA5DC3C.jpeg

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
what city? It looks exactly like the neighborhood theater I saw it in, except that was called the Franklin. Nice to see they gussied up the box office a bit. In those days, they had showmanship.
This is where I saw it when I was seven years old.

Attachments

• Boyd greatest show on earth.jpg
    Boyd greatest show on earth.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 13

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Hugo, OK.
Philadelphia, Pa., The Boyd was a first run theater and it was located 19th and chestnut Street. The Boyd ia a very old movie house. I even think the Wizard of Oz played there in 1939. I know I saw "This is Cinerama", Ben Our and "How the best was Won" there.

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 13
  • large-1.jpg
    large-1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 16
  • large.png
    large.png
    762.2 KB · Views: 13

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
Philadelphia, Pa., The Boyd was a first run theater and it was located 19th and chestnut Street. The Boyd ia a very old movie house. I even think the Wizard of Oz played there in 1939. I know I saw "This is Cinerama", Ben Our and "How the best was Won" there.
The remark was where was the Erie Theatre, which is in Hugo, OK. I know exactly where the Boyd was located for UA Theatres purchased SamEric Theatres when I was working for UA.

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
How large was the screen at the Boyd for 70mm and for Cinerama.
No answer but hoping someone has it. I know that the final Cinerama screen installed for "Brothers Grimm" and "How the West Was Won" was much larger than the first one. That screen was removed for "Ben-Hur" and possibly other first run films.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
How large was the screen at the Boyd for 70mm and for Cinerama.

The 76 by 26 feet Cinerama screen was installed in 1953. South Seas Adventure had it's last show on 10/25/59. The Cinerama screen was removed and a flat screen was installed for the premiere of Ben-Hur on 11/24/59. The flat screen was removed after 7/16/62. The Cinerama screen was installed for the premiere of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Cinerama on 8/8/62. More info on the Boyd can be found at http://incinerama.com/boyd.htm

1620314297924.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw