What's new

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
I didn't get it and the naysayers have made me glad I didn't. Saw it once at the Regency and thought it was a knockout. Didn't expect such a big long movie to be just so damned entertaining. And I never even liked the circus.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Has anyone received their copy from someone other than Amazon?

My Deep Discount order went to BackOrder on Release Date, and I notice that both Bullmoose and Best Buy list it as not available.

I thought about switching my order, but Amazon's current price (with tax) would be $8.64 more than what I expect to be charged by DD (a 47% increase).
Best Buy cancelled my order on April 12th!

• Sad
Reactions: PMF

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Weird. I got my copy from Bull Moose, but it was an in-store purchase, not shipped.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
DD is still listing this as Backorder.
Bullmoose has some stock in stores (unhelpful for an Illinois resident), but not available for shipping.
Best Buy is listed as Sold Out
Other BM retailers either don't list, or not available (Walmart, Target, etc.)

Yet Amazon is listed as In Stock.

I wonder what is the story here.

• Insightful

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The problem in general is not the existence of tools but their misuse. The trick with all processing, whether traditional compressors and noise gates or digital restoration aids, is to apply them until an adverse effect is heard and then reduce the amount of processing until the best ratio of help to harm is achieved.

---SNIP---

I've not heard the discs being discussed in this thread.
Sound can be overly DNR'd just like the picture. It is disheartening to hear that this may have happened with this film. I hear it a lot in CDs of older recordings, like classical music recorded in the 50's in the early stereo era. The Bob Norberg produced reissues of Sinatra's Capitol albums were messed up in this way. They removed all the hiss and then tried to boost what treble was left, making for a strange unrealistic sound.

marcco00

Second Unit
Real Name
marc
Katherine DeMille Quinn, Cecil B. DeMille, and Gloria Grahame backstage at the 1952 (25th) Academy Awards ceremony

Attachments

• cecil-b-demille_cover-4__130201225645.jpg
    cecil-b-demille_cover-4__130201225645.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 11

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I watched it last night. It looked gorgeous but damn, I can't remember the last time I hit the fast forward button so much while watching a movie. Between DeMille's pompous narration and those endless circus acts, this is a 2 1/2 hour film that should have been 2 hours.

• Haha

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I watched it last night. It looked gorgeous but damn, I can't remember the last time I hit the fast forward button so much while watching a movie. Between DeMille's pompous narration and those endless circus acts, this is a 2 1/2 hour film that should have been 2 hours.

I think that's generous. That movie includes maybe 45 minutes of actual story/character material - MAYBE!

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Maybe this is a real movie movie that has to be seen in the movies. Original audiences didn't seem to bored by it in the least and it's a long movie coming at a time when movies on the whole were wrapped up on the whole in under 2 hours.
Especially considering this is a family film where plenty of children went.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think that's generous. That movie includes maybe 45 minutes of actual story/character material - MAYBE!
you know, Singing In The Rain includes maybe 30 minutes of actual story/character material - MAYBE!. The rest is all that unnecessary singing and dancing stuff.
:D
Because the only thing that is important in a movie is story/character material. Everything else should be jettisoned as a waste of time.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Don’t forget, though, it’s called “The Greatest Show on Earth” as opposed to “...on Disc”.;)

Got my copy through Amazon, as BB was even out of stock since earlier last week.:oops:

Personally, I feel that this film hit every mark that it set out to achieve. It’s not DeMille’s fault that AMPAS gave their nod to it for Best Picture; nor, by any means, does it lessen the individual greatnesses of nominees High Noon, Ivanhoe, Moulin Rouge and The Quiet Man.:cool:

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
you know, Singing In The Rain includes maybe 30 minutes of actual story/character material - MAYBE!. The rest is all that unnecessary singing and dancing stuff.
Because the only thing that is important in a movie is story/character material. Everything else should be jettisoned as a waste of time.

There's room for non-character/story material... if it's entertaining.

A well-made movie does both at the same time, and I would put "Rain" in that category. I think most of the musical #s offer character info of some sort as well - they're not just instances where the movie grinds to a halt for a song.

On the other hand, "Show" feels like a long commercial for the circus.

A little of that material goes a long way, and "Show" just overdoes it...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Don’t forget, though, it’s called “The Greatest Show on Earth” as opposed to “...on Disc”.;)

Got my copy through Amazon, as BB was even out of stock since earlier last week.:oops:

Personally, I feel that this film hit every mark that it set out to achieve. It’s not DeMille’s fault that AMPAS gave their nod to it for Best Picture; nor, by any means, does it lessen the individual greatnesses of nominees High Noon, Ivanhoe, Moulin Rouge and The Quiet Man.:cool:

Or non-nominee "Singin' in the Rain".

This mind will always boggle that the Academy didn't even NOMINATE arguably the greatest film musical of all-time!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
That's not fair because in a good musical (which SITR certainly is), the singing and dancing "stuff" IS story and character material. ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Nowadays it's not a surprise when top stars are nominated in the supporting category, but back in those days, it was very rare when someone at the top of the box-office listings would get nominated in the supporting category. My guess is Jimmy either wouldn't let Paramount submit his name in the supporting category or he had them submit him as lead actor knowing his role wasn't big enough to merit consideration there. Rosalind Russell was told in 1955 that the Oscar would be hers if she'd allow the producers of Picnic to submit her as best supporting actress. She indignantly told them to either submit her for leading actress or forget it. They submitted her as lead, and she wasn't nominated.

Judy Garland and Montgomery Clift were the stars whose supporting nominations in 1961 for Judgment at Nuremberg turned the tide for big stars to be placed in the supporting categories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw