What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As for not standing "the test of time," many consider that a badge of honor, given our current social conditions. During a period when most people had hope and joy in their souls, GREATEST SHOW resonated. It has no place in today's brittle, self-righteous and fatally immature culture

:rolleyes:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Another 'unworthy' Oscar winner I've seen mentioned is 80 Days.

"Around the World..." is far from a great - or even particularly good - movie, but unlike "Show", at least it musters some entertainment value:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I finally watched "The Greatest Show on Earth" Blu-ray and I agree with RAH that it looked great. I don't agree with this movie winning the Best Picture Oscar, but I always enjoyed it since I first watched it as a kid back in the early 1960's. My hometown is Bridgeport, CT so the circus came there every year which I attended as kid. P.T. Barnum was a long-time resident and former mayor of Bridgeport and Tom Thumb was born and died there. There are statutes of them along with the Barnum museum.

The movie is corny, but is still entertaining to me. I love the cameos as I forgot one of my favorite actresses,
Nancy Gates was one of them.
The Hope & Crosby cameo
still gets a laugh out loud moment from me. The
Mona Freeman
cameo was longer than the rest of those other cameos. I think this is the first film in which Gloria Grahame, another favorite actress made an impression on me. :D

A fine film that I'm happy to finally on Blu-ray with a great video presentation. I just wish there was an audio commentary besides Maltin's "Filmmaker Focus".

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"Around the World..." is far from a great - or even particularly good - movie, but unlike "Show", at least it musters some entertainment value:

Ha, I think the reverse!

Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same thing, & I'm happy with Show winning best picture. The Oscars are only a bit of glittery fun (& not even that now). The Blu-ray is finally on its way to me after a few mishaps :)

...my favourite DeMille is still Unconquered (1947).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Ha, I think the reverse!

Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same thing, & I'm happy with Show winning best picture. The Oscars are only a bit of glittery fun (& not even that now). The Blu-ray is finally on its way to me after a few mishaps :)

...my favourite DeMille is still Unconquered (1947).
Which is coming from Kino on July 20th.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
If I’m recalling correctly, I believe I saw Zhivago at the Boyd.

just noticed this to be my 14,000th message.
1621003368859.png

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
How unfortunate Zhivago was not filmed in 70MM.
Also I wish Steiger hadn't been cast. He takes me out of the film every time he shows up.
I wonder if this will get a 4K release though how does Panavision adapt to the format?

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
I have yet to watch a 4K disc on my TV so I'm wondering if the resolution in terms of grain of panavision is appreciably more noticeable than a 70 mm film.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

I disagree. I think 80 DAYS *is* a good film, on the verge of great. But did it deserve BP over 10 COMMANDMENTS? Not at all.

Gerani53

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Gerani
GIANT was a big deal (still a solid pre-feminist social overview), and it was also the year of THE KING AND I, HIGH SOCIETY, LUST FOR LIFE, WRITTEN ON THE WIND, and LA STRADA. Interesting to consider some significant movies that didn't get near a Best Picture nomination, like Nicholas Ray's preternaturally interesting BIGGER THAN LIFE and the eternal science fiction classic, FORBIDDEN PLANET.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Unconquered Day 1 ! :) Then I hope Universal will release ...The Crusades (1935) KL is Not releasing it. I asked. View attachment 97205 View attachment 97206

Apparently Kino tried to license The Crusaders, but Universal keep saying no. Who knows why the big studios say yes or no to the various licensees. They've licensed it out in France (great cover) & I have that Blu-ray, I haven't sat down & watched it yet, but the bits I've seen look really good.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I didn’t like “Persuasion,” and I thought Yul Bruner should have won Supporting Actor for 10 COMMANDMENTS.

GIANT is a great epic, and KING is a great musical. 80 DAYS is just a fun film. And plus, I live David Niven. But IMO, 10 COMMANDMENTS was the best of the year. It had (has) everything I look for in a great movie.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
How did this film win Best Picture? More Academy members voted for it than any of the other contenders, that's how. It seems Hollywood in the '50s not only retained a fairly high tolerance for non--sociopolitical/non--"message"/non--cynical family--friendly drama-not produced-by-Disney, but still willingly bestowed highly--coveted awards on such films...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mblake