What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Great Gatsby -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Broken record time: I can't imagine this not in 3D. I didn't love the movie itself but I was really impressed by the use of 3D by Luhrmann. It seemed to suit his over-the-top style in a really complimentary way.

And if the movie was originally shot natively in 3D, isn't promoting the 2D version a little like promoting a pan and scan version of a widescreen movie?

I agree the film is improved some by 3D, but 3D intrinsically just isn't all that effective for movies that utilize staccato editing. The eye and brain need a certain minimum amount of time to assimilate an image so that it makes contextual, visual sense, and the addition of 3D slows that cerebral function down some. The two most recent STAR TREK films are good examples in which much of the 3D is lost on us because we haven't the time to sort out the compositions -- the brain can't quite keep up with the short and fast images before new ones take their place. Had the film used the same patient cutting that, say, the original STAR TREK film in 1979 had used, the 3D would have been much more effective.

This modern style of cutting is bad enough with 2D, but I guess younger generations are used to it (and even demand it, probably), being A.D.D. and all. Luhrmann is all about visuals and kinetics. His quick cuts just about ruin what might have been good sequences in his films because he won't let his camera rest on anything long enough for us to really appreciate them. In 3D, the problem is magnified. Our eyes want to wander around the frame and enjoy its mood and details, but the director yanks them away bing-bing-bing before we are able to. Can you imagine if LAWRENCE OF ARABIA had been cut in this fashion? I won't even discuss Michael Bay's idiotic films, which are way-y worse in this regard

Still, THE GREAT GATSBY has fantastic art design and cinematography, Some of the performances are excellent (I especially like Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan). The music is engaging. And, with regards to the film's inappropriate (for this kind of film especially) editing rhythms, Luhrmann is filling a stylistic niche that appeals to a younger generation born and raised on video games, music videos and cell phones. But this isn't TRANSFORMERS 8! GATSBY'S period costumes and sets and its anachronistic plot are simply not conducive to this kind of treatment. (I have to admit this is my opinion and may well be a minority one, since Lurhmann's updating of ROMEO + JULIET and MOULIN ROUGE! seemed to strike a very popular chord with audiences, mostly young ones).

Most high-school students in the 60's (including yours truly) were forced to read the Fitzgerald novel, and for what I suspect was the majority of us it just wasn't very interesting (i.e. it was a boring story) because we could not relate to the social class depicted here. I was actually born on Long Island and grew up in close proximity to the setting of the story for 17 years, but the novel just kept me at an emotional arm's length...I, like 99% of us, am not filthy rich. Perhaps there is satire or irony in the novel that make it palatable enough for the working class to have kept it in print since its initial publication in 1925, but the movie does not improve on or equal the book, even though it stars Leonardo DiCaprio. Of course, class disparity has become a monstrous political issue of late, but this isn't the film to address that.

Robert Harris lists a bunch of versions of this film, only one other of which (Clayton's version) I have seen. My sense is that no studio or director has ever captured Fitzgerald's characters or setting well enough to make it resound for anyone but the hyperactive "modern audience" in the case of this latest adaptation. But, as Dennis Miller says after his rants, I could be wrong.

P.S. Damn! Did I just post a very long essay about a film I only sort-of like? Must be all those college writing courses.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Broken record time: I can't imagine this not in 3D. I didn't love the movie itself but I was really impressed by the use of 3D by Luhrmann. It seemed to suit his over-the-top style in a really complimentary way.

And if the movie was originally shot natively in 3D, isn't promoting the 2D version a little like promoting a pan and scan version of a widescreen movie?

I could not possibly agree with you more. I own just about every movie on 3D Blu Ray that interests me that was originally shown that way in the theatre and would not ever think of seeing a movie in flat if it was available in 3D.
Occasionally I have picked up a Blu Ray of an unfamiliar movie in a bargain bin in Walmart and discovered there was a 3D version available (Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter). I have disposed of these immediately.
I even have hugely enjoyed 3D post conversion movies like "The Wizard of Oz", "Titanic" and "Jurassic Park" on Blu Ray.
Two last points a) I have never experienced, or at least noticed this dimming effect with 3D and
b) What is this colour correction? My Sony set uses active glasses, I have only seen color problems with the old red/blue glasses type 3D when watching say the 3D DVD of Brendon Fraser's "Journey To The Center of The Earth"

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Just in case we are getting too carried away here this movie IS available in 3D:
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Gatsby-Blu-ray-3D-DVD/dp/B00DHHWYAW

I think it is fair to say that people will want to either watch this in 3D or in 4k UHD, not both ways. So not bundling these two formats into one release does not seem like an oversight to me but rather the sensible way to release this as after all there is a 3D version available already.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just in case we are getting too carried away here this movie IS available in 3D:
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Gatsby-Blu-ray-3D-DVD/dp/B00DHHWYAW

I think it is fair to say that people will want to either watch this in 3D or in 4k UHD, not both ways. So not bundling these two formats into one release does not seem like an oversight to me but rather the sensible way to release this as after all there is a 3D version available already.

Cannot agree. If available in 3D, it should be included as part of UHD packaged sets.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Cannot agree. If available in 3D, it should be included as part of UHD packaged sets.

Fine with me if I do not have to pay extra for it.

Chances are that people buying it already have a previous version so my opinion is that there should not be any additional costs associated with getting standard 2D and/or 3D versions included with the UHD release.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fine with me if I do not have to pay extra for it.

Chances are that people buying it already have a previous version so my opinion is that there should not be any additional costs associated with getting standard 2D and/or 3D versions included with the UHD release.
One would presume some upcharge, not no more than $5

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
If I purchase this (as currently bundled), it says "4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray." That means I will also get a regular blu-ray, correct? I can play it even if I have not upgraded to 4K?

Is it also the case that a 4K Ultra HD disc will play in a regular blu-ray player, just not at 4K?

For some films (when priced reasonably), I wouldn't mind building a future copy on 4K Ultra HD, but I need to be able to watch now.

Right now, all the black boxes say "4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray." Are they truly multi-disc packs or are they just trying to help low-information deplorables like me understand that the one disc is compatible?

(They should have more aggressively marketed and priced bundles back when blu-rays won the format war -- it's what ultimate got me going on blu-ray).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If I purchase this (as currently bundled), it says "4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray." That means I will also get a regular blu-ray, correct? I can play it even if I have not upgraded to 4K?

Is it also the case that a 4K Ultra HD disc will play in a regular blu-ray player, just not at 4K?

For some films (when priced reasonably), I wouldn't mind building a future copy on 4K Ultra HD, but I need to be able to watch now.

Right now, all the black boxes say "4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray." Are they truly multi-disc packs or are they just trying to help low-information deplorables like me understand that the one disc is compatible?

(They should have more aggressively marketed and priced bundles back when blu-rays won the format war -- it's what ultimate got me going on blu-ray).

4k Blu-rays will NOT play on HD Blu-ray players.

4k Blu-rays WILL play on 4k Blu-ray players.

While it appears that DVDs and all HD Blu-rays WILL play on Panasonic players, Not all HD Blu-rays will play on Samsung 4k players.

Reactions: PMF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
4k Blu-rays will NOT play on HD Blu-ray players.

4k Blu-rays WILL play on 4k Blu-ray players.

While it appears that DVDs and all HD Blu-rays WILL play on Panasonic players, Not all HD Blu-rays will play on Samsung 4k players.
I know you were joking with that final sentence, but I think Samsung might see that as libel. :)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm really enjoying my first watch of the UHD presentation of The Great Gatsby on our new 65" 4k tv. This is one of my favorite movies of the last ten years. I just wish Baz Lurhrmann hadn't been diverted to that weird 70s TV show, but instead had updated another classic novel as he did with this one, which is invested with intense emotions and thoughts combined with dazzling visuals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks