What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Felt that the video could be sharper. Beside the stretching on the original MGM disc I enjoyed that one more…May take the plunge and purchase the new German disc…
Thank you, but I disagree with your opinion as it pertains to the MGM versus Kino Blu-rays.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I mostly saw variations color and contrast. I was looking at the Commandant’s medals and the detail wasn’t any better on the 4K.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
The parquetry floor compression of the criterion didn’t jump out ?

Last edited:

Chewbabka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Is that actually visible in motion, though?
Janky, clumpy compression-related grain issues definitely stand out in motion, because they don’t move like they should. I’m not THAT eagle-eyed, and I definitely noticed when I watched the criterion disc (though full disclosure, I haven’t done a side by side)

how much it bothers you, if at all, is a matter of neuroticism.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
how much it bothers you, if at all, is a matter of neuroticism.
I heard that!

I can be quite neurotic and when I see things that look wrong, I can't un-see it. There was a shimmering effect I was seeing on the Star Trek The Next Generation blu ray in one shot that was what appeared to be grain just swirling around.

I had another look at the screen caps on my desktop and now I see the 4K is a bit sharper when I looked at the medals on the German uniform. But I'm not seeing the parquet. Maybe I'm too zoomed in?

I've not watched the Criterion disc recently, but I can do a comparison with the Kino 4K.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I can be quite neurotic and when I see things that look wrong, I can't un-see it. There was a shimmering effect I was seeing on the Star Trek The Next Generation blu ray in one shot that was what appeared to be grain just swirling around.
That was the transporter, Nelson.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have purchased this title but just have not gotten around to viewing it yet.

20220125_155959.jpg

Real Name
Mark Stenroos
I just received the Kino 4k UHD which I bought thru amazon.

My copy did not have a slipcase, which I know exists as I’ve seen it in online reviews. The slipcase is pictured at amazon. Does anyone know why or how this happens? Any chance I was resold a copy that got returned minus its slipcase?

Denham

Agent
Real Name
Paul
Kino's slipcases are limited (up to 10,000 depending on the title, but most are printed around 5K, IIRC).
Since they just had a long sale where this was available at a good discount, they absolutely blew through all the slips.
They actually change the graphic on the product page when that happens so you can tell when it's no longer available.
It changed mid sale, several weeks back.

I reluctantly bought mine during the sale, because I still hadn't watched the Criterion.
I never will at this point. I finally popped it in last night to check the transfer.
The film finally looks fully up to snuff. No complaints about color, contrast, detail...everything looks great.

Dick

Premium
Real Name
Rick
Steve McQueen is the star of the film so it would only make sense to feature him on the cover. The original poster is good, but there's too much going on, it looks like It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

View attachment 123760
That original GREAT ESCAPE artwork bothered me even as a kid. McQueen, Garner and Attenborough don't look like they're running -- their faces are weird and they look like in- between, still-frame poses of Harryhausen stop-motion models. All they need are horns and cloven hooves.

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philcollin
Recent bookmarks