What's new

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I personally think, judging from the screenshots, that the Kino has a tad better color. See for instance these 2 screenshots;

The Kino one has a tad less yellow which looks better to my eyes.

This seems like it'll be a matter of personal preference. From those screencaps, the Criterion looks a little yellow and the Kino looks a little blue. Which one is "correct" is not something I can answer.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Review with many photos is now on DVD Beaver ! It looks Great to me ! :D One more week. I hope KL releases a 4K UHD of The Magnificent Seven this year.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Review with many photos is now on DVD Beaver ! It looks Great to me ! :D One more week. I hope KL releases a 4K UHD of The Magnificent Seven this year.
Based on the DVD Beaver comparisons, the Kino is the better transfer. Better black levels, a dot sharper, a dot more detail and better color. All very subtle but better in my opinion.

MovieBill

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Fisher
Well, if Kino does a great 4k of WEST SIDE STORY, I'm all for it. I just wish they would expand their efforts and do terrific transfers of other UA library titles that didn't get good treatment the first time around (or never were restored) in Blu. Talking about HAWAII, EXODUS, CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, MAGNIFICENT MEN/FLYING MACHINES, SUMMERTIME, AROUND the WORLD in 80 DAYS, THE VIKINGS, THE BIG COUNTRY, THE ALAMO, MAGNIFICENT 7, THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, etc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, if Kino does a great 4k of WEST SIDE STORY, I'm all for it. I just wish they would expand their efforts and do terrific transfers of other UA library titles that didn't get good treatment the first time around (or never were restored) in Blu. Talking about HAWAII, EXODUS, CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, MAGNIFICENT MEN/FLYING MACHINES, SUMMERTIME, AROUND the WORLD in 80 DAYS, THE VIKINGS, THE BIG COUNTRY, THE ALAMO, MAGNIFICENT 7, THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, etc.
I'm sorry, but I think the 2018 BD release of "The Big Country" looked very good from Kino.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I got the Japanese Blu-ray of Magnificent Men because the Twilight time was sold out and going for outrageous prices. The Japanese was recommended as being equally good and I've just sampled it but it does look excellent. I assume the negative of Hawaii is in terrible shape and would need a major restoration which doesn't seem likely.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Bunch of titles in there that are now with Disney or Warner and especially The Big Country does not deserve to be on that list that also has other quite watchable releases next to a complete failure like The Greatest Story Ever Told. That being said I would buy all of them on UHD if somebody put in the effort.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I see Sandpiper Pictures has just released the exact same Twilight Time Hawaii just without the extras. Not only was this movie in 1966 released roadshow in Panavision it seems to have been exhibited in mono as well. That's pretty strange for an epic of this size starring the biggest star around. And 3 to 3.5 for video quality is terrible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How does the 4K disc compare to the 4K iTunes stream?
I'll let you know when I receive my 4K disc!
Well, I got my 4K disc today and after being one hour into watching the movie in its entirety. I must say I'm impressed by what I'm seeing on my 65" OLED. Anyhow, I'm going to finish watching the 4K disc then will try to sample some sequences later this weekend or next week from the iTunes 4K digital and Criterion Blu-ray. I had recent cataract surgeries so I want to give my eyes a little more time to heal as I'm pretty sure I might need new glasses.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I got my 4K disc today and after being one hour into watching the movie in its entirety. I must say I'm impressed by what I'm seeing on my 65" OLED. Anyhow, I'm going to finish watching the 4K disc then will try to sample some sequences later this weekend or next week from the iTunes 4K digital and Criterion Blu-ray. I had recent cataract surgeries so I want to give my eyes a little more time to heal as I'm pretty sure I might need new glasses.:)
I finished watching the 4K disc and I'm very pleased with it. Unfortunately, the "fog filters" used in filming this fine movie is still present.;) Of course, I'm just kidding as it's part of the film process utilized with this film.:)

Next week, I'll try to do some comparisons between the 4K disc, 4k digital and the 2020 Criterion Blu-ray. Right now, I'm happy I purchased this Kino disc.

One more thing, I believe "The Great Escape" was the first "big" movie that I attended in a movie theater. I was a young boy during the summer of 1963, but I do remember the opening credits with Elmer Bernstein's great film score, the 4th of July celebration, the escape and McQueen's motorcycle escapades. The rest of that movie theater experience is a blur because I probably fell asleep for some of that almost three hour movie. Again, I was a kid, not used to watching long movies.:)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I finished watching the 4K disc and I'm very pleased with it. Unfortunately, the "fog filters" used in filming this fine movie is still present.;) Of course, I'm just kidding as it's part of the film process utilized with this film.:)

Next week, I'll try to do some comparisons between the 4K disc, 4k digital and the 2020 Criterion Blu-ray. Right now, I'm happy I purchased this Kino disc.
Your vision must be razor-sharp now, after removing cataracts! I had my eyesight checked last week and my sharp-vision was declared perfect!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Your vision must be razor-sharp now, after removing cataracts! I had my eyesight checked last week and my sharp-vision was declared perfect!
No, I still need glasses as I didn't opt to have my vision corrected to 20/20 as it would've cost $2K per eye out of my pocket as insurance doesn't cover that option. I'm kind of regretting that decision now, but I can live with it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
this is a good podcast - excellent series overall - on Sturges' work. After listening to it, I've had a greater appreciation for Sturges' films. I hardly think he is a pantheon director but he had his moments (and BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK is great) and the podcast points out his strengths, many of which are on display in THE GREAT ESCAPE.

I've always appreciated John Sturges as a director. He's been one of my favorite directors from that film era. His films from film noir to westerns and war films fitted my personal preferences for movies while growing up in the 1960s to early 1970s. After Ford, I think he was one of the best directors of western films. IMO, he made many very good to excellent movies such as:

• The People Against O'Hara
  • The Walking Hills
  • Jeopardy
  • Backlash
  • Last Train from Gun Hill
  • Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
  • Escape from Fort Bravo
  • Bad Day at Black Rock
  • The Law and Jake Wade
  • The Magnificent Seven
  • Hour of the Gun
  • Joe Kidd
  • Never So Few
  • Mystery Street
  • The Magnificent Yankee
  • The Eagle Has Landed
  • The Old Man and the Sea
  • The Sign of the Ram

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Does it have the alternate ending where everyone successfully escapes and they all go to the US and lead successful lives in post-war America?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
As I wrote I saw it as a boy on its first TV showing (maybe Saturday Night at the Movies?)and that was the ending I expected from this heroic war film. After all it is called The GREAT Escape. I was so disappointed and saddened. That was not the way it was supposed to end. I was crushed.

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
No, I still need glasses as I didn't opt to have my vision corrected to 20/20 as it would've cost $2K per eye out of my pocket as insurance doesn't cover that option. I'm kind of regretting that decision now, but I can live with it.

You'll probably notice improved color on your movies now. I have only had one cataract removed, and now my two eyes see slightly different colors. Cataracts cause the lens to turn yellow-ish. I only notice it if I close one eye and then look though the other one. I will be glad when the doc says my other eye is ready.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I had one eye corrected to 20/20 and one for reading when I had cataract surgery last fall and it is for me, a perfect compromise. I can read anything and see perfectly. If I need full 20/20 stereo vision I can opt for a prescription or contact lens for the reading eye.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
1641609911964.png

How does everyone think the MGM blu ray compares?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks