What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Goodbye Girl -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Neil Simon's, The Goodbye Girl, is a sweet New York comedy that won over audiences in 1977. It was nominated for five Academy Awards and gave Richard Dreyfuss Best Actor.

As it's a Ray Stark production, it has "that" practiced feel to it, along with another Stark feature, his long-time editor, at least during her later years, the legendary Margaret Booth, as supervising editor, while the film was cut by John F. Burnett.

I once knocked on Ms Booth's trailer door, to meet her and shake her hand. Just so I'd be able to say I'd done it...

For those unaware, look her up.

Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is gorgeous in every respect.

For a film going on 40 years old, it holds up nicely. And if you don't fall in love with young Quinn Cummings, there's no blood moving through your veins.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw this film when it first came out and I have forgotten everything about it. I don't know if that says something about the film or something about me.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the review - it's a great movie IMO, I have it on my DVR saved from TCM. But my Blu-ray is order!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw this film when it first came out and I have forgotten everything about it. I don't know if that says something about the film or something about me.

Probably you or maybe your age at the time you watched it. I must say this is one of the great date movies of all time though it's possible I just had the biggest crush on MM at the time that it really didn't matter.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Robert! Definite purchase for me! I love, love, love this film! And I feel a special kinship toward any film that Margaret Booth edited! :)

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'The Goodbye Girl' is no longer listed as available on Amazon but is available on Best Buy. Is this going to be another Best Buy exclusive? Release date is tomorrow.

Mark

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Confirmed the non-availability on Amazon. Noted the Amazon sales rank at 1593, quite high for a catalog title that's now out of stock.

Oh and if you want Time After Time (1979) I'd jump on it now. Amazon sales rank at 177 so it's selling fast.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
These are not limited editions. That's not Warner Archive's business model. If Amazon sells out of their initial allotments, there will be more made available.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I was originally going to wait for a $14.99 (or so) price. I found it on Target.com for $16.99 and minus my RedCard discount it puts it down to $16.14. Close enough, so I pulled the trigger. We'll be showing it in the Booth Bijou Garage Theatre (with 'Finding Dory') next week.

Robert, I really appreciate your advance look at 'The Goodbye Girl'. Even though I don't have the disc yet, I can plan our movie night with confidence know you've given the transfer thumbs up.

Mark

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am super happy with this blu-ray, this movie has long been a favorite of mine. The enhanced resolution of the blu-ray really does add to the experience, several facial expressions registered with me that hadn't before. I also thought the audio sounded more detailed than previous releases of this title.

There are two moments in the film that IMO are particularly good acting, done with, to quote Norma Desmond, just one look.

The first is

After Elliott tells off Paula, the camera moves in for a close-up and her eyes slowly fill with tears. (Cap not from blu-ray)
GBG1.JPG

The second is

When Paula and Lucy go backstage after Richard III, you can see the pain and humiliation in Elliott's face, even though he doesn't say a word. I have always been touched by this moment, but the hi-def resolution gave it more power IMO (Cap not from blu-ray)
GBG2.JPG

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Target.com is now showing that 'The Goodbye Girl' is backordered. Amazon shows it as backordered. I've already sent out invites to the Booth Bijou Garage Theater for late next week and it's looking doubtful that either site can deliver it in time. Crap!

Did Warner underestimate the demand for this title?

Mark

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did Warner underestimate the demand for this title?

Mark

I doubt it. I suspect it another in the increasing long line of production line failures from the Technicolor/Cinram deal -- It, Cats Eye, several TT titles, etc.

It appears to be available by $14 at BN.com with one of the 20% codes CX2B65SDREGKU
FS is $25 otherwise it's 2.99

There is also a 15% off 50+ cart code is you have a few things to order to get you to FS BNNOV125 though none of the codes are active for Criterions and the latter expires in about 7 hrs I think

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, David. I actually placed an order for the title through B&N shortly after I posted my last message. I called B&N customer service to verify they had it in stock. I was assured it was in their warehouse, but I'm still not filled with confidence given the out-of-stock everywhere else.

We'll see if B&N comes through.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks