What's new

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
In GBU's case, maybe they were trying to recreate late afternoon desert hues? Misguided but (probably) well-intentioned - just poorly executed and unnecessarily revisionist. Glad the yellow is gone.

To the poster who lamented about T2 and other "cursed" films - it's studio luck of the draw. T2 has the misfortune of being controlled by Lionsgate - a "studio" who is only interested in their portfolio. They may as well be a pharmaceutical company or a Real Estate conglomerate. I guess as long as movies are financed by shareholders and investors, they'll always be treated as product, not art as they should be.
In T2's case, I think the bigger fault is with StudioCanal which owns the rights and does the transfers. And Cameron is probably to blame as well.

As for TGTB&TU, I'll be picking this up. If I recall correctly, the Kino Blu-ray release had an issue with raised blacks. Seems they went the opposite way. Still might end up being the best this has looked on home video. And it'll be nice to have the shorter International cut again.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Not seen yet but looking forward to it. For this release, Kino consulted fans and had access to scans of several original prints.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not seen yet but looking forward to it. For this release, Kino consulted fans and had access to scans of several original prints.
Depends on the “fans” and scans. Why not project an approved dye transfer print side-by-side with data.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No, my idea of what having a feature scanned would cost is likely out of date. I wonder if it's cheaper in Rome than on either coast of the US?
Regardless of location, the actual scan of original elements would be one of the lessor numbers on a budget. Color would probably top the list, followed by clean-up.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
In T2's case, I think the bigger fault is with StudioCanal which owns the rights and does the transfers. And Cameron is probably to blame as well.

As for TGTB&TU, I'll be picking this up. If I recall correctly, the Kino Blu-ray release had an issue with raised blacks. Seems they went the opposite way. Still might end up being the best this has looked on home video. And it'll be nice to have the shorter International cut again.

T2 was also created with 3D in mind and it appears those movies get hit harder with the DNR stick while trying to recreate or replicate "reality".

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I agree it need a new scan, like most of Sergio Leone's filmography.

In the meantime, it's going to be good to own the international cut with a color timing that is an improvement over past presentations, even if still imperfect.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If this film is considered, by its owners, to be worth preserving and properly restoring, it’s probably best to begin with a new scan, and move onward from that point. A simple matter, really...
With so many varied disc releases of GBU that have attempted to improve upon the other; yet never nailed it; I had surmised, as someone who is not on the inside, that only unfixable problems had become the fate of this classic.

What a relief to learn, after so much patching and tweaks of the current transfer, that this matter is actually a simple one. Finding the funding or tapping into the monies, though, is never as simple. As it is, I find it very comforting to now learn that the elements of GBU are not a part of the problem. That, in and of itself, is the best news of all.

Nonetheless, I wonder how the ball could get rolling on starting from scratch? Little doubt, though, that its owners are more than aware of our interests. Hopefully, one day, the proper work on GBU will begin.

Meanwhile, as stated in an earlier post, I shall give my support to Kino Lorber on this newer 4K/UHD release.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would guess that the major obstacle would be that the rights holders (MGM) don’t believe there’s anything wrong with their master. A restoration house worked on it and delivered them a 4K master. As far as they’re concerned, it’s probably a done deal.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would guess that the major obstacle would be that the rights holders (MGM) don’t believe there’s anything wrong with their master. A restoration house worked on it and delivered them a 4K master. As far as they’re concerned, it’s probably a done deal.
You had me at "MGM", Josh.
Sometimes I forget (or wish to forget).
My pie-in-the-sky idealism just got the better of me, once again.:oops:

FOOTNOTE: What is it that they actually do at these MGM board meetings, anyhow?:confused:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Neither of which should be seemingly helpful. Project an approved dye transfer print side-by-side with data.
And with a carbon arc light source. People keep telling everyone that they saw an IB print at the Beverly - well, they may have but it was projected with a Xenon bulb which is not what the print was timed for, therefore it didn't look like it should.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
It sounds good enough for me. Just wish they could have pulled the rabbit out of the hat, like Bue Underground are doing with their releases.
THE NEW YORK RIPPER from Blue Underground has some serious issues visually. I had to create a custom setting on my LG OLED to get rid of the blobs of random blue noise that littered the UHD to make it watchable. THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY also has an editorial error early on.

Vincent

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
THE NEW YORK RIPPER from Blue Underground has some serious issues visually. I had to create a custom setting on my LG OLED to get rid of the blobs of random blue noise that littered the UHD to make it watchable. THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY also has an editorial error early on.

Vincent
A disagreement about Blue Underground discs, or any disc from any company is just shocking. ;)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
A disagreement about Blue Underground discs, or any disc from any company is just shocking. ;)
bryan singer casablanca GIF
;)!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Wasn't Criterion rumored to have lost the bid to Kino? I wonder how Criterion would've handled this. For starters, I think they would've taken a lot more time to work on the restoration, with a Blu-ray release possibly years away. That would've been my personal preference; Nevertheless, I plan on keeping my preorder but I think this'll be the last time I buy this film.

Wubble

Agent
Real Name
Stuart
Wasn't Criterion rumored to have lost the bid to Kino? I wonder how Criterion would've handled this. For starters, I think they would've taken a lot more time to work on the restoration, with a Blu-ray release possibly years away. That would've been my personal preference; Nevertheless, I plan on keeping my preorder but I think this'll be the last time I buy this film.
And a 4K release, well, never.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks