What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ -The Godfather(s) 50th Anniversary Restoration -- in 4k UHD (3 Viewers)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Reel change placements were a bit like to side breaks on LaserDiscs. Sometimes the break appeared well-chosen, occurring in a manner as to heighten the tension or increase the humour. I can't remember how The Godfather films had their side breaks placed on the LaserDiscs.

IMO, best LD side break was for "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

While digging to find the Well of Souls, Indy goes "that's it" and the movie stops! :D

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

While digging to find the Well of Souls, Indy goes "that's it" and the movie stops! :D
It was that way also on the RCA CED.

The CAV Raiders LD interrupted the desert chase after the jeep went over the cliff.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

The best one in my opinion is on Prospero's Books. A side ends with:

"We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep."

(Fade to black. End of Side)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Since we're off on this tangent now...

Lost Highway already has extended fades-to-black built into the movie. One of the side breaks on the Japanese LD was so well placed in the middle of one of those that, if you had a player with a quick change and that displayed a black frame during the turnover, you might not have even noticed that it happened.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Mine arrives tomorrow. After the director's shameless plug and the reviewer's plugola, I took the bait.:lol:
That's a riot. But, hey, why not? I hope that others will follow suit as we have done, today, After all, at HTF, HOME is our first name and I shall always show an interest in the works of our fellow members.:)

Last edited:

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
To be fair to myself, it wasn't meant to be a"shameless plug", it was something I seriously had in mind during the editing re: where to put the reel breaks, since I knew I'd only have a single 16mm print to be taking around to film festivals at the time and it would be "built/broken down" many, many times, and I felt it contributed to this discussion re: reel breaks and considerations of print damage at the break points. In any case, I hope the folks who ordered the DVD enjoy it.

Vincent

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
To be fair to myself, it wasn't meant to be a"shameless plug", it was something I seriously had in mind during the editing re: where to put the reel breaks, since I knew I'd only have a single 16mm print to be taking around to film festivals at the time and it would be "built/broken down" many, many times, and I felt it contributed to this discussion re: reel breaks and considerations of print damage at the break points. In any case, I hope the folks who ordered the DVD enjoy it.

Vincent
Of course it wasn't a shameless plug! As a matter of fact, I'm glad you made me aware of its existence.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Are you seeking cue marks, or to know where reels end?
Yes Robert, some films I saw many times I know where the reels end, but Godfather films I only saw a few times in the cinemas, and I have completely forgotten how the reels were structured. Cue marks on past transfers (if one exist) can help point out how each reel ends.
It could be fascinating to review The Godfather from this point of view and offer another perspective on these masterpieces.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

Vincent
Received the DVD (autographed by the Director himself!) and watched. Even I winced at the unexpected violence and nihilism of the subject matter. However, I was disappointed that the transfer was touted as being 1.66, but my disc was definitely 1.33(7). A question: I sampled one of the original mono tracks (Chapter 1) against the 5.1, and noticed that not only the foley effects were different, but so was the voiceover. Any reason for that?
I don't want to derail this thread. Just wanted to tell you that I'm looking forward to the BD. Kudos!
Edit: Just noticed that the preferred ratio is 1.50.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
Ermm... just to check with y'all fellas...whats the running time of part3?
from Amazon...the new edit runs 157mins
81tJJnbgi4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

and... this is where i keep scratching my head...
IMG_20220321_023955447~3.jpg

so... 13mins of footage lost in restoration process? or the original digital restoration laserdisc is available in 4K restoration as well?​

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ermm... just to check with y'all fellas...whats the running time of part3?
from Amazon...the new edit runs 157mins
81tJJnbgi4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

and... this is where i keep scratching my head...
View attachment 131591
so... 13mins of footage lost in restoration process? or the original digital restoration laserdisc is available in 4K restoration as well?​

That's probably the runtime for the newest definitive "Coda" version/cut of Part 3.

My understanding is all 3 versions/cuts are included though (probably via seamless branching?)...

According to BR.com, looks like the theatrical and 1991 director's cuts are (seamlessly branched?) on a separate 4K disc from the new Coda cut...

_Man_

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
Ahhh... thanks!
just confirmed thru this review...

YANG

Screenwriter

man... It's a tough choice!
i prefer the older transfer with that slight yellow orangey tone to reflect the time of that era through films... but... i also appreciate that restoration of details in the 4K release that the overall picture have to be slightly “darkend”...​

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm mixed on this. I preordered the UHD BD, but I think I might prefer to watch these with Mr. Willis' intent even with a bit less detail. Such intent easier captured in rec 709 without the tone mapping variations of HDR.

YANG

Screenwriter
Call me greedy...
I appreciate the restoration efforts that brought back some details in the photography. Yet, i also prefers the little brightness in the old transfer that would not be darkened by HDR processing in the 4K transfer... that seems to be a common issues with 4K remasters, for example, SILENCE of the LAMBS that exhibits the same... darkened thingy, that prompts me to go for the FHD Criterion release.
I'm still holding on to my funds on getting the GodFather Trilogy on BD, perhaps when a better comparison review on the 50th Anniversary FHDBD vs the previous 2009 version review that shares more on the difference might affect my acquisition decision.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Call me greedy...
I appreciate the restoration efforts that brought back some details in the photography. Yet, i also prefers the little brightness in the old transfer that would not be darkened by HDR processing in the 4K transfer... that seems to be a common issues with 4K remasters, for example, SILENCE of the LAMBS that exhibits the same... darkened thingy, that prompts me to go for the FHD Criterion release.
I'm still holding on to my funds on getting the GodFather Trilogy on BD, perhaps when a better comparison review on the 50th Anniversary FHDBD vs the previous 2009 version review that shares more on the difference might affect my acquisition decision.
If you also have the iTunes versions, they’ll upgrade to 4K, and you can make your own comparisons. You will also have the option of 4K SDR. You‘ll have three versions from which to choose. If you prefer the 4K HDR, you can buy the discs then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks