What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ -The Godfather(s) 50th Anniversary Restoration -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

mdhaus

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I wasn't insisting that I know more than the director, I was suggesting that if his publicly stated goal was to replicate the '72 look, then his approval of this release runs counter to that mission. If he stated that he wanted to "update the look" for modern audiences, then that goal was achieved. But he didn't. So why would he approve something that didn't meet the standard he set? That's what I don't understand.
The point is that Coppola said that the goal was to restore the film to how it looked at the moment of release...before it's look shifted in the following months and years with subsequent prints that were mishandled by the studio.

Obviously, he believes he has achieved that. People may not particularly agree with him...But he's the director and it's his vision.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just ordered the BD of Tucker: The Man and His Dream.

At 10 bucks on Amazon, it’s a steal.

A really good film that always stuck with me right from its first theatrical run.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The reason I'm calling it a "restoration" is because that is how it is referenced by Coppola. I'm simply using the language he is using. And the words of the director, after all, should matter most.

... NVM... :rolleyes:

LOL, you're now the very first to ever make it on any ignore list I never previously kept on any forum sites I've ever participated before -- and I've been on forums of all kinds, including usenet newsgroups, for ~3-1/2 decades now.

I do hope you're greatly enjoying this new 4K boxset (that you presumably spent good $ on... though you've never indicated even once AFAIK despite so many argumentative posts here :rolleyes:), not just wasting all your free time on this inane kind of forum apologetics defending this release (and not much else), LOL... ;):laugh::laugh::laugh:

I bid you farewell if we never cross paths again... :cool:

_Man_

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve

A really good film that always stuck with me right from its first theatrical run.
Beautiful transfer. Just watched it again a few months ago!

Reactions: PMF

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Beautiful transfer. Just watched it again a few months ago!
Agreed. I'm a huge fan of the newsreel type framing device. I remember seeing this on closing night at the local theatre and loving it. When FFC is on his game, there are few who can equal him, and a great performance from Jeff Bridges.

mskaye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Agreed. I'm a huge fan of the newsreel type framing device. I remember seeing this on closing night at the local theatre and loving it. When FFC is on his game, there are few who can equal him, and a great performance from Jeff Bridges.
And Martin Landau who received an Oscar nom. I worked at Paramount at that time - in PR/Marketing - and remember being disappointed that he didn't win. Ditto for his turn in Crimes and Misdemeanors. Was thrilled that he was able to top these performances and receive an Oscar for Ed Wood. He had a great career resurgence.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The point is that Coppola said that the goal was to restore the film to how it looked at the moment of release...before it's look shifted in the following months and years with subsequent prints that were mishandled by the studio.

Obviously, he believes he has achieved that. People may not particularly agree with him...But he's the director and it's his vision.
You don't know what he thinks. You know what he said in some article written before the final work had been done. You do understand that Mr. Coppola does not own The Godfather. Here's something you can do - a little test - take a broken record, put it on your turntable and see how well it plays.

mdhaus

Agent
Real Name
Mike
You don't know what he thinks. You know what he said in some article written before the final work had been done. You do understand that Mr. Coppola does not own The Godfather. Here's something you can do - a little test - take a broken record, put it on your turntable and see how well it plays.
The director of a film does not “own“ the film (ie his vision) for it?? That’s a fascinating stance to take. I’m sure it comes as a huge surprise to directors everywhere.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

The director of a film does not “own“ the film (ie his vision) for it?? That’s a fascinating stance to take. I’m sure it comes as a huge surprise to directors everywhere.
Once a film is released into the wild, the director has little to no control over how it is received and how his vision is interpreted by the audience. If a director is able to wrest control back, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. There are many high profile examples of this where the changes a director has wrought were not accepted by the audience.

As RAH has stated over and over again, what has happened here may not be reflective of FFC’s intent at the beginning or even now. It’s possible he (gasp!) changed his mind. It’s also possible that he signed off on a master, and it got altered later on down the chain. What we do know is that this master looks very little like the work RAH did in 2007. It may be aesthetically pleasing to some, but it’s not what it looked like in 1972/4/90. We have IB Tech answer prints that can attest to that.

I’ll simply leave with the following image and encourage others to move on:
Photobucket GIF
south park beat a dead horse GIF

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Didn’t FFC reach out to Steven Spielberg for assistance getting Paramount to restore The Godfather?

mdhaus

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Once a film is released into the wild, the director has little to no control over how it is received and how his vision is interpreted by the audience. If a director is able to wrest control back, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. There are many high profile examples of this where the changes a director has wrought were not accepted by the audience.

As RAH has stated over and over again, what has happened here may not be reflective of FFC’s intent at the beginning or even now. It’s possible he (gasp!) changed his mind. It’s also possible that he signed off on a master, and it got altered later on down the chain. What we do know is that this master looks very little like the work RAH did in 2007. It may be aesthetically pleasing to some, but it’s not what it looked like in 1972/4/90. We have IB Tech answer prints that can attest to that.

I’ll simply leave with the following image and encourage others to move on:
Photobucket GIF
south park beat a dead horse GIF
Nobody forced Mr. Coppola to sign off. And nobody forced him to be so clear on what the intent of the project was. If he wasn’t happy, it would have been far easier for him to simply say it was just a general project to see the films released in 4K and leave it at that.

YANG

Supporting Actor
He's the director of the film. He would know best what his vision is.

It's fascinating to me that so many people are insisting that they know better than Coppola himself what his intention and vision is/was. It's quite hilarious.
as mentioned in this podcast interview...

...be it the 2008 restoration or the 2022 release in 4K, each have its beauty.​

RATLSNAKE

Agent
Honestly after you watch those two documentaries back to back, it's hard for me to envision any other conclusion.
My 50th anniversary boxset arrived a few weeks ago, haven't go to it yet, it's still sealed. Very tempted to sell it after seeing the lack of warmth that's been applied to it, and the rest....<sigh> They couldn't match the look of Gordon Willis could they, they just had to mess with it. While there's been a lot said in this thread (a lot of it round and round) I think it's a testament to the appreciation of this work of art that the community is so passionate about objective facts on it also being understood alongside the work itself. 2007 release is my definitive copy despite having bought the 4k for my HT and projector setup.

English Patient

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph
My 50th anniversary boxset arrived a few weeks ago, haven't go to it yet, it's still sealed. Very tempted to sell it after seeing the lack of warmth that's been applied to it, and the rest....<sigh> They couldn't match the look of Gordon Willis could they, they just had to mess with it. While there's been a lot said in this thread (a lot of it round and round) I think it's a testament to the appreciation of this work of art that the community is so passionate about objective facts on it also being understood alongside the work itself. 2007 release is my definitive copy despite having bought the 4k for my HT and projector setup.
I would open it and see it for yourself - although I wish they would have gone the extra step of retaining the original color timing, that brassy look isn't entirely gone, and the excellent clean-up work and additional use of the negative (rather than less detailed intermediates) is very nice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
After reading this thread and further conversation with others regarding the transfer, I decided not to purchase this 4k release and stick with the Robert Harris Blu-ray restoration which looks fantastic.

Perhaps if this 4k release were to dip down to $30 I might be persuaded -- and there's a good possibility of that happening -- but I am not fond of the tinker work that has been done with the 4k release including (if I am understanding this correctly) an alternate take being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks