What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve seen The Godfather Part III dozens of times, and am now far more satisfied than with earlier screenings.
Re-imagined from beginning to end, with over sixty changes, both large and small, to image as well as audio, Coda is in many ways akin to seeing the film anew.
When my team was creating the Director’s cut of Part III, I found the printer functions (fades and dissolves) in the film extremely distracting.
So much so, that I searched out the original material used to produce the dupes cut into the original negative, and for the most egregious scanned the originals and cut them into the new data.
The problem at the time was that I had neither the time nor budget bring all of the dupes up to full quality.
This has now been done, and the film looks amazing because of it.
GFIII was shot S35, which means that the entire film was an optical down to standard 1.85. Returning to the S35 material, now with all new printer functions (and there are many) is a wonderful new experience...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m very excited for this. I never disliked the previous version(s) of the film but I never became very familiar with it either - I think I saw it once on VHS, once on DVD and once on BD. I’ve forgotten much more than I remember. I’m looking forward to seeing this as if it were a totally knew film because it might as well be for all I’ve seen it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Robert. I have been looking forward to seeing this version since it was announced. Parts 1 and 2 are two of my all-time favorite films, and I am hoping this edit will bring Part 3 a little closer to those two masterpieces. Of course, some things just cannot be fixed -- George Hamilton instead of Robert Duvall, Sophia Coppola instead of Winona Ryder, etc.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I thought it was a terrible disappointment when I saw it theatrically, 30 years ago. I hated Sofia Coppola, Al Pacino's overacting, the ludicrous plot. However, I've been recently revisiting quite a few films which I saw last in the '80's and '90's and my reactions are invariably different. I'll hang around and wait to see if 4K discs will be forthcoming, as I'm fed-up of double and triple dipping!

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Saw it theatrically when it first came out and went home thinking it was kind of Meh, and had some really good bits (the two Sicilian hit men, the Abbott & Costello of gangsters; the Atlantic City massacre) and some really weak bits, Michael and the orange being just too on the nose. But after a few days of thinking about it, I realized that it was OPERA, more than anything else, and that if you looked at it that way, it kind of worked better. I still am not crazy about Michael and the orange in the garden dying as it looks like the director is just trying too hard; character action comes from the inside out, not the outside in.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Thanks for this review. GODFATHER III was the first of the trilogy that I saw--AND I LOVED IT. So much that I was converted to the first two films, which I had avoided for decades, thinking I'd not like them. To this day, I still don't see what is so awful about GFIII (Sofia does not 'ruin' the whole movie, I really don't see it that way.). It may not be perfect, but it's solid crime-drama entertainment. I don't feel a need to see a re-working of it, but if I have a chance to, I'll certainly give it a shot.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
At the time of original release I assume III was expected to soar past I & II. Instead it was a slight disappointment but because movie goers were heavily invested, their reaction was extreme. I first saw it on a rented laserdisc then bought the DVD and the picture quality was a big disappointment. I played the DVD a year ago and liked the story well enough to buy the Blu-ray, much, much better. I hope my story helps others in a similar position. As long as Coppola gets rid of Sophia's awkward sneers I'll be happy, therefore I look foward to Coda!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
“The Godfather Part III” had always felt like it was two unrealized films forced into being one. I say this in the most complimentary of ways, as this was a work that had no shortage of ideas and themes. I have watched Part III on numerous occasions; and, despite its loss of seamless cohesiveness to Parts I & II, have found myself always fully involved from beginning to end. I admire Godfather III, plain and simple; but it did have its nagging narrative points.

IMHO, “The Godfather CODA” is the most intriguing release of the year; for whatever we have been thinking for these past 3 decades - be it pro or con - has evolved into a vindication for both us and Mr. Coppola. Clearly, neither we nor he were sitting well with its original cut; thus placing us all within the same wavelengths and mindset.

“The Godfather CODA: The Death of Micheal Corleone”, if anything, will prove to be a master class in writing, directing, editing and concept; as well as that of a consummate artist who has wrestled down his creative demons and delivered them to their final rest.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
“The Godfather Part III” had always felt like it was two unrealized films forced into being one. I say this in the most complimentary of ways, as this was a work that had no shortage of ideas and themes. I have watched Part III on numerous occasions; and, despite its loss of seamless cohesiveness to Parts I & II, have found myself always fully involved from beginning to end. I admire Godfather III, plain and simple; but it did have its nagging narrative points.

IMHO, “The Godfather CODA” is the most intriguing release of the year; for whatever we have been thinking for these past 3 decades - be it pro or con - has evolved into a vindication for both us and Mr. Coppola. Clearly, neither we nor he were sitting well with its original cut; thus placing us all within the same wavelengths and mindset.

“The Godfather CODA: The Death of Micheal Corleone”, if anything, will prove to be a master class in writing, directing, editing and concept; as well as that of a consummate artist who has wrestled down his creative demons and delivered them to their final rest.
A Master Class it is.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
A pre-order it is.
Begun the Clone War has ...
1606588864589.png
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks