What's new

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don't like it when they remove wires either like they did in MARY POPPINS and WIZARD OF OZ.
For me, it depends. This whole moth thing seems to be automation gone awry. A steady hand and careful review of the before and after, along with necessary corrections, would probably solve the problem. I remember that there were certain issues with an earlier master of Citizen Kane, and there's a big brouhaha over the Frankenstein 4K UHD master with missing fingers and detail, which shows in screencaps but not necessarily in motion. Technology is a wonderful thing, when properly used.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
For me, it depends. This whole moth thing seems to be automation gone awry. A steady hand and careful review of the before and after, along with necessary corrections, would probably solve the problem. I remember that there were certain issues with an earlier master of Citizen Kane, and there's a big brouhaha over the Frankenstein 4K UHD master with missing fingers and detail, which shows in screencaps but not necessarily in motion. Technology is a wonderful thing, when properly used.
I just finished the movie, and the shot with the missing moth is unquestionably dupe footage, softer than the surrounding material, and perfectly in character with the dupe footage in the various other opticals like the dissolves. But the moth was a prominent enough element that I'm still struggling with seeing how it would have been accidentally removed by automated tools. There's plenty of fine details all throughout which are intact. It's just that one thing. In fact, in the scene where Russell Wade is in his cabin and the porthole rattles in the wind, there's two very visible wires at the top of the screen which are doing the rattling, and those weren't removed.

It just seems like the moth was removed deliberately. Mistakenly, but deliberately -- they didn't remove the wires because they knew those were present as shot, but maybe someone thought that the moth was damage? Watching the scene, but not listening to the dialogue?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Moth? Not Moth? This is what it was for the last several releases. As said earlier, it was removed in the DVD. I would like to see WAC fix it. But that’s in different world.

Anyone that doesn’t purchase this disc because of the No Moth really is missing out.

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
Moth? Not Moth? This is what it was for the last several releases. As said earlier, it was removed in the DVD. I would like to see WAC fix it. But that’s in different world.

Anyone that doesn’t purchase this disc because of the No Moth really is missing out.
Is there a time stamp for this missing moth?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Anyone that doesn’t purchase this disc because of the No Moth really is missing out
Who said it was removed in the DVD? I have the Val Lewton Horror Collection and the moth is definitely there.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Once again I ask, what is the time stamp please?
It's posted in the pre-order thread:

At around 4:40 into the film, when the new 3rd Officer Merriam goes to grab the moth and is stopped by Captain Stone, there is no moth!! It has been digitally swept away as dirt & debris

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

At around 4:40 into the film, when the new 3rd Officer Merriam goes to grab the moth and is stopped by Captain Stone, there is no moth!! It has been digitally swept away as dirt & debris
As noted earlier. That moth destroyed several of my beloved sweaters, and I requested it be removed.

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn

Thanks as I've only watched this film one time and didn't remember that particular scene.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bullmoose finally shipped me the blu-ray of Bedlam/Ghost ship.

The Ghost Ship DVD:
Ghost Ship DVD.png

The Ghost Ship Blu-ray:
Ghost Ship Blu.png

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I think we all understand the error. However, I'm still buying this disc.
As you should. It's a gorgeous disc. I almost felt guilty pointing out the error in my own review of it, because there are people out there who will refuse to buy it just because of that one tiny glitch. Everyone's mileage may vary, but that's a huge mistake in my book.

Enjoy it when you get it!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As you should. It's a gorgeous disc. I almost felt guilty pointing out the error in my own review of it, because there are people out there who will refuse to buy it just because of that one tiny glitch. Everyone's mileage may vary, but that's a huge mistake in my book.

Enjoy it when you get it!
It’s a tiny glitch, but a huge mistake? It’s either one or another in my book.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It’s a tiny glitch, but a huge mistake? It’s either one or another in my book.
A tiny glitch relative to how great the film looks overall -- how great both of them look, for that matter. One tiny element of one shot. No, it shouldn't have happened, and in that sense, it's a big mistake. But it doesn't take away from the beauty of everything else.

So. . . a little of both?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks