What's new

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There are two Kino versions. The first one was washed out. I think that was from Blackhawk. Reviewers said the second one was a bit better, but softer as I remember. That one was from Lobster Films. Maybe this film just doesn't exist perfect like the rest. The General by Cohen is head and shoulders above the rest.

The original Kino transfer is from 2007, I think, and was created for their remastered DVD. It's a much better source than Lobster's 2K remaster (perhaps a fine-grain positive compared to Lobster's likely dupe neg), but Lobster's transfer is better. As expected, as the two transfers were created a decade apart. Though, Cohen's 4K should completely overshadow between using the prime source(s) and being 4K projects.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The problem isn't the resolution or age of the transfers. It's the film element. The first Kino release was washed out. The storm scenes were quite thin and blew out in the highlights. Now I hear the Cohen does that too. I was wondering if the print Lobster used has better gray tones. Have you seen all three? If so could you compare the contrast grading of the three for me please?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I compared the Kino 2017 Steamboat Bill, Jr. to the Cohen on my projection system. The density/grading situation is similar, but the Cohen film element is superior to my eyes. One generation earlier looks to me.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I can't compare to MoC to the Cohen but the image is definitely compromised by blown out white levels.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I agree. What is puzzling on the Cohen Steamboat Bill is the blown out white levels. If you do some tweaking on the display you can regain some f the image quality that I remember well from the 4k screening.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If you already have the Cineteca Bologna restoration of The General from the Spanish blu-ray, you probably don't need to double dip. If you have the Blackhawk or Lobster versions, you should. The Cineteca Bologna restoration is a solid step up from those, plus it has a Carl Davis score.

PMBen

Agent
Real Name
Pablo Manzano
I own the three US editions of Steamboat Bill Jr.: Cohen, Kino (standalone) and the Kino edition that comes with College. This last one, the Lobster version, doesn't have the exposure problems that the other two have; the differente in the way the shadows look is striking. Definition, however, is not nearly as good as in the Cohen version, but it's good nonetheless. I think Lobster is the way to go for a blu ray of Steamboat Bill Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks