What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The French Connection : Filmmakers Signature Series -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Funny- I watched this about a week ago. Not sure which version I have- the old one or newer one.

Does the movie have completely bizarre colors, including a purple tinge to flesh tones in many scenes?

[Screengrabs borrowed from DVDBeaver.]

french.jpg

french2.jpg

If so, that's the first Blu-ray edition. If the colors look relatively sensible (aside from a teal push in some scenes), it's the "Filmmaker's Signature Series" remaster.

The first scene in NYC where Popeye and Cloudy are chasing the criminal- there was no attempt at beautifying the locations- trash everywhere. A documentary style film.

I remember NYC still being covered in trash well into the '90s.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
It looks like this is now sold out because of the Disney+ censorship issue. Amazon lists one for sale for $144.99.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It looks like this is now sold out because of the Disney+ censorship issue. Amazon lists one for sale for $144.99.
It was in-stock the other day until panic set in. Talk about an overreaction.

Edit: On second thought, I think some people are trying to make a profit and are counting on people to overreact and pay those exorbitant prices.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It was in-stock the other day until panic set in. Talk about an overreaction.

Edit: On second thought, I think some people are trying to make a profit and are counting on people to overreact and pay those exorbitant prices.

That's probably it. All of those copies of the disc in the world ain't going nowhere.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The overreaction on social media has been a bit obnoxious, but good for the scalpers and maybe this will shine some light on the treatment of the Fox library since Disney's purchase. I'm eager to find out Friedkin's reaction since he doesn't seem like the type to be so kind about one of his films being tampered without his involvement.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
You would hope that film preservation would be high on the studios’ priorities, but it looks like it’s up to those of us who bought all those shiny discs.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
One of the several reasons I’m not interested in streaming.
It's not strictly a streaming vs. physical media thing, though. Obviously, they can't change something that's already been released on disc as they can with a digital file, but there's nothing preventing Disney from releasing a censored French Connection on UHD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not strictly a streaming vs. physical media thing, though. Obviously, they can't change something that's already been released on disc as they can with a digital file, but there's nothing preventing Disney from releasing a censored French Connection on UHD.
Thank you!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
If an altered/censored video disc is released, then the consumer should be made aware with a notice on the jacket, saying the film/show was edited from its original version. My take.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks