What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Fall of the Roman Empire (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The second release from The Weinstein Company's Miriam Collection, Anthony Mann's The Fall of the Roman Empire, is far superior in image quality to their initial offering.

While not what it might have been had a new transfer been possible, the overall look of the film is quite satisfactory, especially at a street price of less than $20.

Occasional processing problems are noted. Black levels are not what they might be, interestingly allowing more shadow detail. Whites occasionally look washed out, and contrast is lacking overall.

Color, especially in facial tones seems restrained, but there is nothing here that should hold anyone back from adding this huge quality production to their DVD library.

Note should also be made that the aspect ratio, which I'm certain will be a topic of on line discussion, has been adapted, but few home theaters have the overall size that would allow a 2.76:1 image to co-exist along with the necessary loss of vertical resolution necessary to achieve it.

For home theater use, a nominal 2.55 or thereabouts is probably as wide as one would want to go, unless the production actually makes use of the entire frame area -- and some do.

With the caveats noted above, most of which will in no way affect the casual viewer, The Fall of the Roman Empire is recommended.

RAH

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Since it was released in 35mm and flat 70mm I guess 2.35 is fine. It doesn't sound like the directional dialog was retained on the dvd.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Perhaps the directional stems are lost. Or, more likely, the mixing to Dolby Surround has, for the sake of the undiscriminating general consumer, placed the dialog front and center, something that has irritated me no end when it comes to the release of DVD's made from films that originally had 6-track sound. Home theater screens are large enough these days to support directional dialog without it seeming bizarre. There should at least be the option of choosing directional. I love it, personally.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

There was no going back to large format elements and therefore no 6 track sound to put on the disc.
The element used probably had 4 channel magnetic sound and we got aremix of that on the disc.

Oliver

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

If it was a scope print the front 3 channels could have the directional dialog. Many of the CinemaScope films had it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Yes it would have been possible, I just wanted to point out that there were no 6 channel elements used.

Have you got your copy already ?

Oliver

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks