What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Expendables 2 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Expendables 2 has something in common with the laser disc release of Miami Vice.

Where, as I recall, Miami Vice was the first laser disc encoded with digital audio, The Expendables 2 is the first Blu-ray encoded with DTS Neo:X.

Many of you are probably wondering precisely what DTS Neo:X is.

While I listened to the film in DTS 7.1 discreet, the Neos:X encode is optimized for those who can play back 11.1.

I can't say that we don't need 11.1, as I've not heard it. 7.1 has enough pin-point accuracy of bullets whizzing about the room already.

I need to hear this.

The film is precisely what you'd think it would be, packed with 1980s action heroes, back for another stand. All of them. Put together the cast of this film, and the final result is great fun.

And for what it is, which is a hugely fun, extremely loud exercise in machismo and battlefield heroism. In that would be a good thing, as Expendables 2 does its job at entertaining on precisely that level.

Get your monies worth? Absolutely.

Photographed in S35 and taken to post as a 2k DI, the final result is a perfectly tuned Blu-ray. I found it to be a superior entertainment to its predecessor. Leave your thinking caps at the door, grab a beer, and go for the ride.

Recommended.

RAH

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
I really enjoyed #1 Expendables and got the "extended edition" on sale for a measly $10. An enjoyable nostalgic ride back to the days of Commando (which actually has a fabulous Caribbean inflected score) and Rambo. Nice to hear that the second one preserves the same feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sur