What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Expendables 1 & 2 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's quite an extraordinary concept.

Bring together a group of well-known actors, who are just a bit older than their full-on starring days, sprinkle in a few other very well-known names as an investment toward foreign sales, and you've got The Expendables francaise.

The films are precisely what one would think that they are, if not a bit better.

Lots of action, explosions, gunfire, high body count, stunts galore.

And have Mr. Stallone at the helm, and starring, along with (as they're billed, simply) Statham, Li, Lundgren, Couture, Austin, Crews, Rourke and Willis. 2 adds Hemsworth, Van Damme, and (officially) Schwarzenegger.

Somehow, I'd missed the original Expendables, and was going to check it out for quality, and ended up spending a very pleasant (and loud) 90+ minutes with it.

It's a hoot.

Imagery is superb, presumably an uprez from 2k, but could have been a new scan. This one is actually hard to tell. Shot on 35/3, and originally completed in 2k. Part 2 was also film, but S35.

Black levels are sublime.

The major addition here with the new 4k HDR'd release is Dolby Atmos, and the new audio shines, with precisely placed effects, both huge as well as subtle.

What I've learned over the past couple of years is that Lionsgate is a class act, with superb home theater release, and a leader in true 4k.

Huge, loud, and totally entertaining, these are films that achieve on what they set out to do.

And the perfect films to get the lint out of one's speaker cones.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Upgrade - Yes

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Expendables 3 was one of the first UHD releases... These are some of my favorite just watch movies when I just want to be entertained. The one liners are fantastic! I have been waiting for these to arrive to complete the series. The very top of the popcorn flicks made over the last few years.

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yer Da
I'm suspicious, simply because EX-2 looked like hammered shit theatrically, and the BD reflects that too.

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yer Da
Yeah, my suspicions were right. One of the worst 4K discs I've ever seen, and that's an accomplishment after those awful Iron Man discs from Germany.

Perhaps I'm not smoking the right shit...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had never seen any of the films from this franchise, but Wal-Mart was selling a package containing all three films with just the UHD discs (no BD's) for $23, so I took a chance at that bargain price. We watched the first film last night, and both my wife and I thought it was quite entertaining. Both image and sound quality were excellent, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks