What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Emperor Waltz – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When cinephiles discuss a "Billy Wilder film," it's normally the more satirical, frolicsome genre, as opposed to the darker films.

The Emperor Waltz is an oddity. His first film in Techni(color) is the lighter side of his work, an international farce, taking place early in the 20th century - in Austria.

While the setting is Austria, those Tyrolean alps are actually Jasper National Park, in Alberta, Canada. The rest - Melrose.

A part of the late Paramount library, that made its way to Universal, Kino's new Blu-ray is a gorgeous representation of the film's Technicolor look. But while rich, saturated colors jump from the screen, there's a tiny overriding problem, which may not be even noted by the general viewer, in that the colors shift continuously, almost as if masters or negatives were not properly processed.

Occasional YCM dirt, but generally very clean and an overall pleasing image.

Strangely, watching Mr. Crosby do his first musical number, occasionally joined in by bounteous yodeling milkmaids, I realized that outside of his work with Mr. Hope, and a couple of others films, I'm not a huge fan in his acting style.

What's important here is that Mr. Wilder's progression as a director is on view, and that after four films low on humor, this 1946 production is the start of the Wilder that we've grown to know and love for his lighter work.

For Wilder completists and Technicolor fans, as well as those of Mr. Crosby and Ms Fontaine.

Score by Victor Young.

Shot by George Barnes.

Image – 4.25

Audio – 4.5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I am fan of Bing Crosby's acting style. I'm also a great admirer of Billy Wilder. Nevertheless, I've seen this film only once and, apart from the opening sequence, I didn't like it. I may however buy this disc as it presents Technicolor so well; so many thanks for your review.

RobertMG

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Der Bingle made some very great films - really classic, Going My Way, Bells Of St Mary's, Welcome Stranger, Holiday Inn, Blue Skies, White Christmas and all the Road pics his 1930's films were fun too but after White Christmas and The Country Girl his films seemed to have sunk pretty quickly. Thankfully TV and records kept his career going for many more years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjeanamantog
Recent bookmarks