What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Deer Hunter is a 1979 film, directed by Michael Cimino, which won some awards back in the day.

It holds up beautifully.

Shout Factory's new 4k - a pleasant surprise there - is a mixed bag. The master apparently comes from Canal +.

IMHO, someone cranked the HDR a bit high, making the film an unpleasant viewing experience in projection. Compared to
the Blu-ray, which allows far greater latitude in densities, the 4k has an overall higher resolution, and more obvious grain structure.

In projection, the standard Blu-ray is the choice. On an OLED, the 4k has a nicer overall image, but blacks attack, and are too
heavy. I wish I had an answer for this one. Bottom line, I'd probably pass on the 4k.

Definitely not a release for those who cherish projection.

4k Image – 4 - OLED Panel
4k Image - 3.5 - Projection

Audio – 5 (DTD-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - I don't believe so

Very Highly Recommended - as a film - not as a disc

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Something tells me once I get my 4K disc and watch it on my LG OLED that it's going to be a noticeable improvement over my 2012 Blu-ray. At least, that's my hope.:)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a very grainy film, and I wonder if the loss of shadow detail is in order to hide some of that grain.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Damn it. And I blind preordered it from Shout Factory because they are always good. And it has shipped already so I can’t cancel. Why didn’t Canal + use the master from Universal? Also, how did Universal lose the rights?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Damn it. And I blind preordered it from Shout Factory because they are always good. And it has shipped already so I can’t cancel. Why didn’t Canal + use the master from Universal? Also, how did Universal lose the rights?
I don't think they did lose the rights. The film was co-produced by EMI and Universal, and Universal controlled North American distribution. I think they must have okayed the Shout disc and their use of the Studio Canal master, as Universal probably hasn't made a 4K transfer yet.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I’d not be overly concerned, as the overall image quality in 4k is superior. The caveat is toward projection, which seems to take a back seat when HDR is graded.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
The UK Studio Canal disc also has Dolby Vision. Is the Shout HDR10 only?

Reactions: PMF

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was pleasantly surprised to see my copy arrived early -- this morning. I haven't watched it yet, and as I don't have 4k hooked up to the projector, I should be okay. Thanks for the review, Robert!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
One more question Mr. Harris, if you don't mind. When you say the Blu-Ray has an edge over the UHD, are you referring to the Universal Blu-Ray that was released way back when, or the Blu-ray included with the 4k disc? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks