What's new

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I agree. What I don't understand is why anyone should complain with getting 3 aspect ratios on 2 Blu-ray discs --

I am not one to ask for less when more is offered.

Exactly! Hell, they could have included a B&W version too if they wanted, what do I care as long as the proper (whichever that is ;)) version is included. To badly paraphrase Now Voyager, "Why complain about the moon when we have the stars."

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I didn’t see this for years (along with Horror of Dracula) because the Creature Features in San Francisco area never bought the package that included them.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
After sampling the 1.37 aspect ratio and then watching all of the Extras on Disc 2 of Warner Archives "The Curse of Frankenstein" (on Friday night),
I followed up Sunday (Dec 6) night by watching the entire film in the 1.66 aspect ratio and then listening to the commentary while watching the 1.85 version —
Both aspect ratios work fine (and I'm sure some people will prefer the tighter 1.85).

Because of the importance of this film, the great restoration (with perfect color), featurettes, trailer, multiple aspect ratios, two 50gb Blu-ray discs, I believe this is my disc(s) of the year.
A great package at a bargain price.

I've purchased 4 copies. My son and a couple of friends will get the additional ones.

Now, as I said, Warner, please do this kind of restoration and package for Horror of Dracula, The Mummy, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, and add She to the Blu-ray list.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
After sampling the 1.37 aspect ratio and then watching all of the Extras on Disc 2 of Warner Archives "The Curse of Frankenstein" (on Friday night),
I followed up Sunday (Dec 6) night by watching the entire film in the 1.66 aspect ratio and then listening to the commentary while watching the 1.85 version —
Both aspect ratios work fine (and I'm sure some people will prefer the tighter 1.85).

Because of the importance of this film, the great restoration (with perfect color), featurettes, trailer, multiple aspect ratios, two 50gb Blu-ray discs, I believe this is my disc(s) of the year.
A great package at a bargain price.

I've purchased 4 copies. My son and a couple of friends will get the additional ones.

Now, as I said, Warner, please do this kind of restoration and package for Horror of Dracula, The Mummy, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, and add She to the Blu-ray list.
You received your copy already ? Wow ! :oops: That's Nice :) Mine is coming on Dec. 15th from Amazon. How does it look to you ??? I have had that UK Disaster Bluray since it was first released. This has to be Much Better for sure. Enjoy !! ;)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Why would they release it in 1.37 when it was NEVER shown that way in any movie theater? To appease some wacko people who saw it on TV? I don't get it.
Not to mention, the wackos who’d still rather search It out on television, instead of just buying the disc, altogether.:oops:

Looking forward to this one.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
You received your copy already ? Wow ! :oops: That's Nice :) Mine is coming on Dec. 15th from Amazon. How does it look to you ??? I have had that UK Disaster Bluray since it was first released. This has to be Much Better for sure. Enjoy !! ;)

I ordered from CreepyClassics.com on Monday Nov 30. They sold out of their first case that day and have more on order.
I do feel lucky to be on top of the curve in receiving this one.

I agree with Robert Harris — While it will never look like a new movie, this restoration is top notch.
The color is perfect — Really beautiful.

In addition, it does not look soft like the UK disc (which I have seen but do not own).
I don't remember what the extras were on the UK disc, but if they have no value, I would go skeet shooting with it.

Anything that is not sharp (on this new release from Warner Archive) was that way in the original photography (other than the optical fades & dissolves) --
No, it will never have the detail of an original unfaded negative, but this is much better than I ever thought we would see (again, in my case, as I first saw the film in 1957 at the age of 6).

I'm really happy. I think anyone who gets this will be happy too.

I say again, this is my favorite release this year.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
George Feltenstein on the Warner Archive podcast:

"Research tells us it was shown in the US at 1:85, the UK premiere was also at 1:85, but then a lot of distribution in the UK was 1:66. And then there is the matter of how did most people see it for 40 years. They saw it open matte.

The 1:37 aspect ratio had long been abandoned by motion picture theaters in 1957 - unless it was a revival theater that didn't have the proper aperture plates or lenses.
The way this film was shown for decades in revival theaters, non-theatrically in 16mm, on television, and on VHS, was in the academy ratio.

So many, many people are used to seeing various things in the frame that weren't meant to be seen theatrically, but there is a school of thought that it was shot anticipating that people would be seeing the film on television and in 16mm non-theatrically.

In order to please everyone we decided to go with all three in the name of being comprehensive."

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
George Feltenstein on the Warner Archive podcast:

"Research tells us it was shown in the US at 1:85, the UK premiere was also at 1:85, but then a lot of distribution in the UK was 1:66. And then there is the matter of how did most people see it for 40 years. They saw it open matte.

And since it was filmed "open matte" 1:66 - 1. That's the way I like to see it. Any other ratio would show us less of the actual picture. I remember seeing Gone With The Wind cropped for Cinemascope during it's wide screen release in 1969. Horribly chopped up.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I got mine Today ! :D
DSC00436.JPG

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And since it was filmed "open matte" 1:66 - 1. That's the way I like to see it. Any other ratio would show us less of the actual picture. I remember seeing Gone With The Wind cropped for Cinemascope during it's wide screen release in 1969. Horribly chopped up.

No. It was shot open matte full aperture and was NEVER meant to be shown that way and I don't care what people saw on TV. You have Feltenstein saying exactly what's correct - shown in 1.85 here AND the UK - but then in nabes in the UK 1.66 but never HERE that way.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
it took until 7pm out this way, but both titles delivered!

will break out my new Revenge of Frank and have a Hammer Frankenstien double feature tomorrow!!!:banana::banana:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
The Curse of Frankenstein looks Great ! :D Way Better than that UK Bluray from 2012. Picture is Very Clean. No spots or specks. Color is Stronger, and Finally Detail in the Picture ! :) I am Very Happy with this New Restored and Remastered release. Sound is also Much Better. I will keep the UK Bluray just for the Extras on it. It has the film Four Sided Triangle on it. Enjoy Hammer Fans ! ;)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Halfway through and the color alone makes it a must-have. The softness is regrettable, but mostly noticeable in the long and medium shots, not quite so much in the closer shots, but how nice to see it looking so good. I am, of course, watching it in the ratio in which I saw it projected, 1.85, and it looks swell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks