What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Current War – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No reason to go anywhere near the production / distribution history of this film, as it takes away from the fact that it's worthy of your time.

A good, and interesting film, seemingly afraid of its own turf and the technical issues at hand, it comes across with layers of CG fx and
digital technical wizardry and cutting to hold the audience in place. And it does it pretty well.

Edison (he who patented the sprocket hole, and attempted to hold the fledgling motion picture industry to himself, and apparently, not a very nice guy), Westinghouse and Tesla in a race to light up the earth, at the top of the world.

Universal's Blu-ray is the Director's Cut, which is seemingly the only one available.

Shot with an Alexa XT, using Panavision optics, and finished in 2k, allows for a gorgeous Blu-ray.

Alfonso Gomez-Rejon directed.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A fine film that I enjoyed in the cinema. I have the Blu-ray, but haven't watched it yet. Yes, Thomas Edison was a genius with hardly any formal education, but he wasn't a good person. I'm afraid that trait was common among many of the business titans from that era.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A fine film that I enjoyed in the cinema. I have the Blu-ray, but haven't watched it yet. Yes, Thomas Edison was a genius with hardly any formal education, but he wasn't a good person. I'm afraid that trait was common among many of the business titans from that era.
I’ll say. I’ve read he electrocuted an elephant to demonstrate his current. Was that portrayed in the movie?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Universal's Blu-ray is the Director's Cut, which is seemingly the only one available.

It is, and was labelled as such in its theatrical release. The purpose was to distinguish this version from the previous cut that played at a festival a few years ago. That cut was supervised by the film's initial distribution partner you don't want to mention. The new distributor obviously wanted to separate the film from that situation and emphasize that the film was returned to the director for this cut.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Viewed the Blu-ray last night thanks to my library and liked the film. Will buy the Blu-ray and maybe tonight i will watch my dvd of the documentary "Westinghouse" (2008).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks