What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As Crawdaddy alerted us in another thread The Court Jester (a VistaVision production) has now been released digitally in 4K with Dolby Vision. One thing I'd like to point out, and I'm sure this will matter to no one else but me, is that the aspect ratio of the 4K digital is 1.85:1 whereas the Blu-ray is 1.78:1. Comparing the two, the 4K has more image on the right and left, so we are getting the true 1.85:1 framing whereas the blu-ray does not open up the top and bottom but instead crops the sides.

Blu-ray screen capture (from another website)
View attachment 187347

Snapshot off computer monitor of 4K digital version (to demonstrate framing difference not actual image quality)
View attachment 187348

I still haven't even unwrapped my BD just yet (as usual), LOL. But how does the 4K digital compare PQ-wise (although this is RAH's BD review thread)? I probably won't get around to comparing for myself anytime soon... :P

And too bad they omitted the Perspecta sound.

Theoretically, they could still add that at some point (for the digital anyway), if they really care, but of course...

_Man_

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It's the reason I didn't get Strategic Air Command. No Perspecta sound. Even though I haven't opened The Court Jester I am going to be so p'd off if it comes out in 4k. Which makes so much more sense than The Nutty Professor.
What films have come out with Perspecta?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I still haven't even unwrapped my BD just yet (as usual), LOL. But how does the 4K digital compare PQ-wise (although this is RAH's BD review thread)? I probably won't get around to comparing for myself anytime soon... :P

Theoretically, they could still add that at some point (for the digital anyway), if they really care, but of course...

_Man_
Other than the slight change in aspect ratio, and the usual application of HDR, it looks pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swethaJK
Recent bookmarks