What's new

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I completely enjoyed The Court Jester last night. I had watched the DVD right before the Blu-ray was announced, so I didn’t think I would involve myself into the film this soon. I do find the film a great “vessel” for humor and a showcase for Kaye’s talent. But the picture was gorgeously presented.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Court Jester main titles, along with Danny Kaye's fantastic rendition of the title song, is worth the price of admission. I've always loved how the lyrics very cleverly match up with the credits.

Have had it on pre-order since it was announced. Looking forward to watching it soon.

"And life couldn't possibly better be!" :)
His wife was a genius - she was a big part of his success - got to speak to her once - got to see in in person when he guested on The Cosby Show and I attended the weekly filming at Astoria Studios!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I saw Danny Kaye when I was a boy in Two by Two. Anybody else see it? He pretty much threw the musical out the window and made it a one man show. I don't think it was very professional but he was a lot of fun and very charming. I think the rest of the cast wanted to strangle him.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
1611807392052.png

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I saw Danny Kaye when I was a boy in Two by Two. Anybody else see it? He pretty much threw the musical out the window and made it a one man show. I don't think it was very professional but he was a lot of fun and very charming. I think the rest of the cast wanted to strangle him.
Finally, after 50 years, there is someone else out there who has seen Two By Two, as well. I loved, loved, loved that musical. After the show I went backstage. Never got an autograph, as Danny Kaye was cooking up some chow in his dressing room. But boy, oh, boy after meeting Madeline Kahn; so funny and open; I instantly fell into having a boyhood crush. Ms. Kahn hadn’t yet made a film, but she was already a stand-out even then.

Not so fast, there, Mr. Kaye. PMF still has some pending and unfinished business with you.

At my second go-around, I again got to see Danny Kaye live; except this time, he was conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Now that may had been all the more funnier than his Noah. Again, I went backstage. This time, I hit the jackpot. Heck, not only did I meet Danny Kaye, but he even gave a couple of his minutes to talk and joke with a 10 year-old me.

If we were at a live HTF meet, then I could easily reenact the exchanges and both of our goof-ball retorts; for, truly, this was one of those instances in which all would be lost with just the written word.

BTW, the original cast album of Two By Two is available on CD.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Finally, after 50 years; there is someone else out there who has seen Two By Two, as well. I loved, loved, loved that musical. After the show I went backstage. Never got an autograph, as Danny Kaye was cooking up some chow in his dressing room. But boy, oh, boy after meeting Madeline Kahn; so funny and open; I instantly fell into having a boyhood crush. Ms. Kahn hadn’t yet made a film, but she was already a stand-out even then.

Not so fast, there, Mr. Kaye. PMF still has some pending and unfinished business with you.

At my second go-around, I again got to see Danny Kaye live; except this time, he was conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Now that may had been all the more funnier than his Noah. Again, I went backstage. This time, I hit the jackpot. Heck, not only did I meet Danny Kaye, but he even gave a couple of his minutes to talk and joke with a 10 year-old me.

If we were at a live HTF meet, then I could easily reenact the exchanges and both our goof-ball retorts; for, truly, this was one of those instances in which all would be lost with just the written word.
There's some interesting writing about his conducting in Kaye's biography, Nobody's Fool.

Strangely, The Court Jester is mentioned only once in the book.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
There's some interesting writing about his conducting in Kaye's biography, Nobody's Fool.

Strangely, The Court Jester is mentioned only once in the book.
Great link. Thank you. I was very fortunate to play one of the last concerts he conducted months before he passed away. He gave everything of himself. He was an absolute joy to work with.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I saw Two by Two after Kahn had left. There has to be a story there because back then an unknown featured player would at least have a year contract. Another case of Lucy Mame? Never but never pull focus from the the star.
I wouldn't see her on stage until many years later in an Anyone Can Whistle benefit concert at Carnegie Hall, A very memorable night.

I also saw Kaye after he had I believe broken his ankle so he was in a wheelchair, on crutches and pretty much carrying on like he was doing a royal performance at the London Palladium. I'm not complaining mind you he was enormous fun and the audience was having a great time. I feel very fortunate to have seen him. At the end the audience wouldn't stop applauding and he came forward to thank us for being there.
It wasn't until years later I listened to the obc and thought hey this is a pretty good score.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I saw Two by Two after Kahn had left. There has to be a story there because back then an unknown featured player would at least have a year contract. Another case of Lucy Mame? Never but never pull focus from the the star.

According to the Kahn biography by William Madison, she was one cast member who tried to stay above the backstage fighting but had songs and business cut in rehearsal because they were pulling focus from Kaye. By all accounts, he was an out of control monster during that run but she just played "clueless little girl" in hopes of being spared his full wrath. Her biography doesn't mention any specific reason for her leaving and, according to IBDB, she stayed with the show for the first 8 months and only left in mid August 1971, about three weeks before it closed. Did you see it that late in the run or perhaps she was just "out" for the performance you saw? She had terrible back problems during that run.

EDIT: I went and looked at the book again and it may just be a case of the closing notice being posted and actors leaving for other work. She left the show on August 15th and imdb lists an August 16th, 1971 start date for WHAT'S UP DOC? Kahn's understudy, Caryl Tenney, performed the final three or four weeks of shows.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I saw it that summer but I'm pretty sure she wasn't even listed. Even if a substitute had gone on I was always careful to note in the lobby if someone was out. Back then it rarely happened but when I would see the sign up my heart would sink. I didn't think I saw it that late but maybe I did. In fact August sticks in my head for some reason. Did it close suddenly? I don't recall anything about it being in its last weeks. Though come to think of it I saw On the Town at the theater a couple of months later. I must have the souvenir program somewhere. I'll have to check out who did the role. I believe the rest was the original cast.

Reactions: PMF

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Did anyone see Danny when he was preforming in a cast after he broke his leg? I remember NYT ads of him in Two By Two proclaiming “Danny Kaye is back in the cast” with a picture of him in a leg cast. Lol. That was stretching it fir the backers.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well maybe it wasn’t Danny Kaye back in the cast. Lol. However I do enjoy the OBC.

Attachments

• 64D00D45-1F11-4123-BF99-553FAEBF3BCF.jpeg
    64D00D45-1F11-4123-BF99-553FAEBF3BCF.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 50

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Though come to think of it I saw On the Town at the theater a couple of months later.

TWO BY TWO closed on September 11th and ON THE TOWN had its first preview on October 27th (with its official opening on the 31st.)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There is a DVD of THE INSPECTOR GENERAL that suggests a Blu-ray with a bit of effort could look splendid. Who owns the rights to that wonderful musical comedy?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The color of Walter Mitty on youtube is very good. Ann Rutherford and her dog are very funny.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I was able to check a few bits of the Blu-ray and it's gorgeous. What's interesting is that the color seems very similar to the DVD, but it's not even worth comparing in terms of everything else.

Count me in for wanting the Goldwyn Technicolor Kaye films on Blu-ray. Walter Mitty is a lot of fun, but I like A Song is Born and Wonder Man more.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
There is a DVD of THE INSPECTOR GENERAL that suggests a Blu-ray with a bit of effort could look splendid. Who owns the rights to that wonderful musical comedy?
It was originally made by Warner Bros., who presumably has any original elements. But given that it's been released on DVD by some P.D. labels, it must've fallen into the Public Domain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks