What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Boys from Brazil -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Franklin Schaffer's The Boys from Brazil (1978), is one of those films that you want to see work.

It has an incredible cast.  Gregory Peck, Laurence Olivier, James Mason and Lilli Palmer.  

It's based upon the novel  by Ira Levin (Rosemary's Baby), and is directed by Franklin Schaffner (Patton, Planet of the Apes).

Somewhere along the line things go awry.

I'll watch anything with the three lead actors, and that said, I couldn't be more pleased with Shout Factory's new Blu-ray.

I was prepared for an older transfer, a bit of detritus, a lack of total stability.

But this stands with Shout / Scream's other A quality titles.

Apparently derived from a nice IP, image quality is generally very clean and stable.  Color is good, along with shadow details and black levels.  Everything is fine here, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

At $16 on Amazon, worth the price of admission just to watch Sir Laurence work.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I just watched this one. I'd never owned a copy of "The Boys In Brazil", and I was expecting an okay Blu-Ray, but I was stunned by how great it looked. I won't be underestimating Shout Factory (or Scream Factory) again.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't like this film much. I've seen it only once and I found it rather unpleasant. In view of the quality of this disc, I might give the film another go.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For anyone who's interested, I saw this at my local Costco over the weekend for $12.99.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
For years the studio (or some studio) has been threatening to do a remake -- only a sequel to this movie could possibly work -- but if the original movie ever had to go back into theatres (or another reissue on bluray or any kind of future media), a stereo remix of the movie would be essential -- I'm flabbergasted that nobody has done it to this movie already (and in 1978, would it have killed 20th Century Fox or Sir Lew Grade to release it in stereo in the first place?)

In 1983 Jerry Goldsmith was in Melbourne to give a lecture at the State Film Centre on his most famous music scores -- and I couldn't get in, totally booked out. I grabbed my "Boys From Brazil" soundtrack album and went to the Centre when the lecture had started and began hearing wonderous music coming from the auditorium.

The lady at the box office saw me stalking the lobby and outside the centre, as I was quietly scheming how I could get past this her and slip in and stand along the wall for the rest of lecture, unnoticed. She was on to me early -- I soon realized this when she started giving me the evil eye (just like the aunt in "Marty") -- I went to the box office and showed her my university concession card as one would throwing themselves at the mercy of the Supreme Court -- no dice. I suspect I hadn't been the only one to try this routine that night -- so I lurched off down the Paris end of Collins St, past the Windsor Hotel (where Gregory Peck himself had stayed during the filming of both "On The Beach" and the tv miniseries remake of "Moby Dick")

I know an expanded cd set of "The Boys from Brazil" soundtrack was released a couple of years ago -- my favorite Jerry Goldsmith score, and I have to admit I have great fondness for everyone in the movie, for the great performances and the occasional bouts of scenery chewing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One of my all-time favorite films. Had the import for years. Bought the Shout Factory domestic version. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Ronald Epstein said:
One of my all-time favorite films. Had the import for years. Bought the Shout Factory domestic version. Looking forward to giving it a spin.
Would like to know how it compares to the import.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I like the film. It has a number of cool, suspenseful sequences. But that cloned kid with the intense blue eyes completely creeps me out. I supposed he was meant to, but he actually puts me off the film somewhat. I like everything else about it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I hadn't watched the movie for years, so I put my DVD into the player last night to see if I wanted to upgrade. Certainly picture-quality wise, I need to upgrade. The DVD from Artisan is fairly soft and nondescript. Color looks dated.

The film would have played better with about 15 minutes or so sweated out of it. The lengthy sequence offering the scientific explanation of the cloning might have been dropped. You either buy into the premise of Joseph Mengele's brilliance as a scientist or you don't.

But it's great seeing Peck play evil.

Glad to read from RAH and others about the great picture quality. If I can find it at the right price, I'm sold.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Since this is a favorite, once the UK Blu-ray was announced, I grabbed it. I'm satisfied with it enough that I didn't see the need for the Shout! version.

Now what I'm about to say has to do with the current streaming version that you can find on most free services. It's on Tubi, Pluto, Freevee, Plex, etc. Last evening I just put one of these on, I think it was Tubi, and I was horrified by the sound. The opening scene at the outdoor cafe has a military parade in the street and Goldsmith's score going on with a good bit of parade-watcher crowd noise. The movie's soundtrack is mono, which is normally fine, but this streaming version sounds totally phased. I don't know how this happened, but it must be something like they played the 2-track mono on a slightly-out of phase stereo machine and then reduced it to mono.

I then checked Pluto and Freevee. Same phasey sound. To me that's unlistenable. So I went to grab the Blu-ray off the shelf, and it sounds fine. Looking on the web, I see a review on Amazon UK from someone who I suppose purchased the streaming version and heard the same phasey sound that I'm hearing.

That same phasey transfer is also on Youtube with commercials. Listen at about 2:20 into the movie:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks