What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Boy Friend -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Boy Friend fits reasonably neatly within the Ken Russell pantheon.

His earlier works, produced for UK television in the mid to late 1960s, are among my favorites.

Programs such as Song of Summer, Isadora Duncan and Dante's Inferno lead to a series of theatrical productions that bear his imprimateur.

Sometimes sensuous, sometimes loud and brassy, but virtually always works that give the audience something unexpected.

The Boy Friend (1971) fits interestingly into his early works, following Billion Dollar Brain (1967), a decidedly un-Russellish production, and then three that established what our expectations might be of him for years to come -- Women in Love (1969), The Music Lovers (1970), and The Devils, which set off so many alarms that it still isn't available for re-examination.

The Boy Friend is a beautifully produced film, showcasing Twiggy in the role of wannabe star Polly Browne, and with extraordinarily colorful and in your face cinematography by David Watkin.

The overall look, resolution and color of the film, has been one of its downfalls on home video, but Warner Archive has gone back to original elements, and what we receive looks far better than what I recall back on a theater screen in 1971.

It's a backstage musical, based upon Sandy Wilson's play of the same name, that opened on the West End in 1953, before coming to Broadway in 1954, with a very young actress named Julie Andrews in the role of Polly. The original show was made more complex for the film, and unfortunately didn't make it with it with audiences as the studio had made cuts totaling almost half an hour. What was seen was not the film that Mr. Russell had made.

Enter Michael Schlesinger, then running the studio's classics division, who released the un-cut version in 1987. As an HTF regular, possibly he'll log on and give us more information.

My suggestion is to just purchase and enjoy. No assembly required.

As an aside, much of the cast are Russell company players, including Christopher Gable, Max Adrian, Murray Melvin, Georgina Hale, Sally Bryant, Vladek Sheybal (who you'll also recognize from From Russia with Love, among others.

Tommy Tune makes an incredible impact as Tommy, the 8 foot 10 inch dancer extraordinaire.

You'll also recognize Bryan Pringle, from Lawrence of Arabia.

Yet another perfect release courtesy of The Warner Archive.

From the "you can't make this stuff up category," according to wiki,
"The principal role of Polly Browne was to have been played by Diana Maddox, who fell sick on the afternoon of the final dress rehearsal. Anne Rogers (at that point playing a minor role) volunteered to take over, having learnt the role on her own. The show opened the following evening and made an overnight star of Rogers."

Life imitating art, imitating life... or something close to that.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ken Russell was like a one man British film industry then, in under two years four films opened in London, & not some basic cinema-verite productions, but complex period films (I'd think very complex with The Boy Friend):

The Music Lovers - Dec. 1970
The Devils - July 1971
The Boy Friend - Feb. 1972
Savage Messiah - Sep 1972

The one I've never seen is...The Boy Friend, I really fancied seeing it late last year & had the DVD already to order, so glad I waited.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
And don't forget about the ubilled tour-de-force appearance by Glenda Jackson, the actress who broke her leg requiring Polly Brown to go one in her place. Jackson hobbled into the theater on crutches to witness what she thought would be the understudy's ruin of the play...and ended up in tears, instead!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Allegedly, Thoroughly Modern Millie came about because Ross Hunter wanted to make a film of The Boy Friend with original Broadway star Julie Andrews, but MGM wouldn't fork over the rights, so he fashioned his own 1920s spoof for the star, then the number one box-office star in the world.

I'm glad we ended up with both Thoroughly Modern Millie and The Boy Friend even if Twiggy is only barely able to carry the load of singing and dancing she must do. (She became a much more proficient singing and dancing star later in her career.)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I almost bought the DVD of this on a few occasions, too. But I have yet to see the film, period. Or ANY of the composer ones, so I relish the Russell treats that still lie ahead.

And thanks to RAH for the reminder to dig into that box set of television programs.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Any hope that the British Film Institute could release a remastered THE MUSIC LOVERS on Blu-Ray? I've given up hope for an American Blu release, and BFI has done a good job with WOMEN IN LOVE (Blu-Ray) and THE DEVILS (DVD).

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
I do have slightly mixed feelings about this film, only because I would have liked to see a straightforward adaptation of the original stage show (which, as has been mentioned, is a spoof of 1920s musicals).

Instead, the story is opened up as a backstage musical---here we have a troupe of actors performing The Boy Friend on stage, and also get to see the behind-the-scenes drama as these actors struggle through the show with an understudy playing the main role. And all the while they are vying for the attention of the director in the audience, hoping to be discovered and given a Hollywood contract. And of course poor Polly is in love with her leading man (and on-stage love interest), who doesn't seem to notice her at all...

So, what we end up with is a sort of spoof of a spoof. First there are the actors, performing (rather badly) the show that was a spoof to begin with. The back-stage material is spoofing the "let's put on a show" musicals that were so popular in the 1930s. And then there's the added element of the director in the audience, who, as each musical number plays out on stage, simultaneously imagines it as a big-budget glamorous Hollywood production number. Basically, we're given two versions of the musical interludes --- the ones that are being performed on the stage, and the ones that are in the director's imagination. These fantasy sequences spoof the Busby Berkeley musical extravaganzas of the 1930s (as compared to the 1920s spoofing of the stage play), and are pretty darn impressive.

Oh, and then during the backstage portions of the film a few classic film songs are added to the mix, that didn't appear in the original production of The Boy Friend at all...

Man, this all sounds so confusing! A spoof of a spoof, with two plots to be followed (that of the on-stage show, and that of the real-life actors). And I was fully expecting a train wreck as I began watching the film. Doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Twiggy, who (let's face it) is not a singer---can't compare to Julie Andrews in the least, in the vocal department. But in the end---I really liked it!

And those who are familiar with the older musicals will get an extra kick out of recognising the individual songs that are spoofed in this production. For instance, "The Boy Friend" is an obvious take-off of "The Girl Friend." "A Room in Bloomsbury" is a spoof of "Blue Room." And "Sur La Plage" is a spoof on "Call of the Sea" from "No, No, Nanette/Tea for Two"---etc., etc....

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I do have slightly mixed feelings about this film, only because I would have liked to see a straightforward adaptation of the original stage show (which, as has been mentioned, is a spoof of 1920s musicals).

Instead, the story is opened up as a backstage musical---here we have a troupe of actors performing The Boy Friend on stage, and also get to see the behind-the-scenes drama as these actors struggle through the show with an understudy playing the main role. And all the while they are vying for the attention of the director in the audience, hoping to be discovered and given a Hollywood contract. And of course poor Polly is in love with her leading man (and on-stage love interest), who doesn't seem to notice her at all...

So, what we end up with is a sort of spoof of a spoof. First there are the actors, performing (rather badly) the show that was a spoof to begin with. The back-stage material is spoofing the "let's put on a show" musicals that were so popular in the 1930s. And then there's the added element of the director in the audience, who, as each musical number plays out on stage, simultaneously imagines it as a big-budget glamorous Hollywood production number. Basically, we're given two versions of the musical interludes --- the ones that are being performed on the stage, and the ones that are in the director's imagination. These fantasy sequences spoof the Busby Berkeley musical extravaganzas of the 1930s (as compared to the 1920s spoofing of the stage play), and are pretty darn impressive.

Oh, and then during the backstage portions of the film a few classic film songs are added to the mix, that didn't appear in the original production of The Boy Friend at all...

Man, this all sounds so confusing! A spoof of a spoof, with two plots to be followed (that of the on-stage show, and that of the real-life actors). And I was fully expecting a train wreck as I began watching the film. Doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Twiggy, who (let's face it) is not a singer---can't compare to Julie Andrews in the least, in the vocal department. But in the end---I really liked it!

And those who are familiar with the older musicals will get an extra kick out of recognising the individual songs that are spoofed in this production. For instance, "The Boy Friend" is an obvious take-off of "The Girl Friend." "A Room in Bloomsbury" is a spoof of "Blue Room." And "Sur La Plage" is a spoof on "Call of the Sea" from "No, No, Nanette/Tea for Two"---etc., etc....

Thank you. I think.

That was so confusing, I might have written it.

I feel that Twiggy is wonderful in the role of the engenue.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I was so unhappy with the DVD that this is very heartening news indeed. I LOVE this movie and have since I saw it the night it opened at the Picwood Theater. If it looks as colorful and wonderful, rather than the dreary "color" of the DVD I will be a very happy camper. I fell in love with Twiggs in this film, I loved the choreography, and especially the arrangements of Peter Maxwell Davies, which cannot be praised highly enough. Twiggy is great and I don't want to hear otherwise :) And really, you can't talk about this film without a huge shout out to Tony Walton for his glorious sets.

About twenty-five years later, I had the pleasure of producing an album with Twiggy (cover by Tony Walton, BTW) and she was everything you'd think she'd be - down-to-earth, funny, saucy, and a beautiful person. We were just mad for each other, a regular love-fest AND I reunited her with Tommy Tune, who came in and sang Room in Bloomsbury with her - magic. I saw her whenever she was in the States, then produced the cast album of If Love Were All with she and Harry Groener as Noel and Gertie. Happy to say I'm in her memoir and happy to say she's in mine :) I've already ordered this, of course, and I find it quite unfair that Warners did not send me an advance copy as they did Mr. Harris. How DARE them. Kidding. Can't wait for it to arrive - in the meantime, Mr. Harris could always send me his.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
I feel that Twiggy is wonderful in the role of the engenue.

I suppose I was being a bit unfair. I do find her very likable in the role here---the viewer is rooting for her the whole way through the film. I just wish her singing and dancing skills were a bit more polished at the time the film was made... Well, to make up for it, Tommy Tune and Christopher Gable get to show off some of their mad dance moves---Gable had a background in ballet and it shows; very impressive.

Last edited:

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
And really, you can't talk about this film without a huge shout out to Tony Walton for his glorious sets.

The sets for the musical numbers really are splendid---come to think of it, they're quite a bit more lush and elaborate than one would expect a not-very-popular mediocre theatre company to be able to afford! (heh, heh...) And then of course the sets for the dream sequences are amped up even further; they're amazing.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
Couple bits of Boyfriend trivia.... The real-life location where the film was shot is the New Theatre Royal in Portsmouth. Built in 1856, it has weathered several severe declines (including a disastrous fire in 1972) and survived several demolition attempts. I believe it has finally been fully renovated and restored within the past couple of years.

Also, the film features the original version of the song "The Riviera." When the play came to the US back in the 1950s there was some problem with "The Riviera" being too similar to another song (I think the sound-alike song was "The Varsity Drag" from the show "Good News") and so the tune was completely re-written for the American stage.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Will this Blu-ray contain the intermission and entr'acte?

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Can you say something more about the sound, e.g., is it in stereo?

The film was released mono in the Colonies.

Warner Archive returned, however, to the original 4-track stereo full-coat, and created a new 5.1. Previously the tracks were heard in 2-track domestically.

Warner Archive pulled out all the stops, and went back to the foundation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks