What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Best Years of Our Lives -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Where is WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1939)?
The Yorkshire Moors. :D

Meanwhile, for those who have asked, the common links between the two films are Samuel Goldwyn, William Wyler, Editor Daniel Mandell and DP Gregg Toland; other than that, these conscious or unconscious connections between either film ends there. :cool:

...and now, back to our regularly scheduled program. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Yorkshire Moors. :D

Meanwhile, for those who have asked, the common links between the two films are Samuel Goldwyn, William Wyler, Editor Daniel Mandell and DP Gregg Toland; other than that, these conscious or unconscious connections between either film ends there. :cool:

...and now, back to our regularly scheduled program. :thumbs-up-smiley:
And no original negative

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Looks like this is coming back from Warner Archive. They are doing a re-issue, coming December 22nd: Link

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Looks like this is coming back from Warner Archive. They are doing a re-issue, coming December 22nd: Link
Wouldn’t it be something of an “elements” miracle if WAC had identified a way to eek out a tiny bit more from the compositions of the great Gregg Toland (1904-1948).

And while we’re on the topic of Toland and WAC, who here would like to see a BD of (?):

Wuthering Heights (1939)
Ball of Fire(1941)
The Little Foxes (1941)

Wow, two more Wyler’s and a Wilder.
Not so bad, Citizen Toland, not bad at all.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Glad this one is being reissued. Was saddened a while back to discover it was out of print and that I potentially missed my chance at it.

I wish Pride of the Yankees would come out. After buying this reissue, then all my favorite Teresa Wright movies would be in my Blu-Ray collection if Pride of the Yankees eventually appears. I'd love to see others like The Steel Trap looking their best on Blu-Ray, but for me it's this movie, Mrs. Miniver, Pride of the Yankees, Shadow of a Doubt, and Casanova Brown that stand above the rest of her films.

With the roll that Warner Archive is on, perhaps we'll see both this and The Little Foxes in 2021. Then her five biggest hits will be on Blu-Ray in North America.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Does any one know whether Best Years Of Our Lives played Roadshow in NYC as iit played at the Asto Theater. And if so did it have an Overture, Intermission and Exit music?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Three hours in length and; in what I categorize “The Best Years of Our Lives” as being;; an ‘intimate’ epic.

Despite these two criterias, I couldn’t imagine an Intermission on this specific film and its trio of narratives. Yes, there were war-themed home-front films of this period that did have an Intermission; such as “Since You Went Away”(1944); but I believe that the desired impact of “The Best Years of Our Lives” (1946) is better served without a break.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
even though I thoroughly dislike BEST YEARS (a yawning melodrama), it had great performances,

I believe PRIDE OF THE YANKEES will come soon. I’d love it. It’s not only a great sports story, but a timeless story with great acting (even though I find Gary Cooper a bit too old for the role, he was terrific).

I’d also love to see THE LITTLE FOXES. Another BP nom with the incomparable Bette Davis (whom I also dislike, but I admit she’s a terrific actress.)

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
even though I thoroughly dislike BEST YEARS (a yawning melodrama), it had great performances,

I believe PRIDE OF THE YANKEES will come soon. I’d love it. It’s not only a great sports story, but a timeless story with great acting (even though I find Gary Cooper a bit too old for the role, he was terrific).

I’d also love to see THE LITTLE FOXES. Another BP nom with the incomparable Bette Davis (whom I also dislike, but I admit she’s a terrific actress.)
A “dislike” for Davis and a “yawn” for “Years”? That’s an ouch and an ouch !!:eek:

Well, we can meet in the middle with a double YES towards “The Pride of the Yankees”. 12 Oscar nominations. Sounds like a promising BD, eh? :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So.....

If I have THIS Blu version of the film (purchased from Amazon in August 2013) sitting on my shelf, is this new re-release an upgrade from that one? Or don't we know yet?

The-Best-Years-of-Our-Lives-Blu-ray-2013.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
So.....

If I have THIS Blu version of the film (purchased from Amazon in August 2013) sitting on my shelf, is this new re-release an upgrade from that one? Or don't we know yet?

Hey, Mike, that’s my BD of “Best Years”...give it back!!!:D

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So.....

As a rule, Warner Archive reissues of previous Warner Home Video Blu-rays have all been re-pressings of the same disc. In the podcast they are referred to as “back in print” releases.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Does any one know whether Best Years Of Our Lives played Roadshow in NYC as iit played at the Asto Theater. And if so did it have an Overture, Intermission and Exit music?

A re-recording of Friedhofer’s score seems to indicate that he did write exit music for the film (included in the video below). Whether it was actually used or not is anyone’s guess.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
As a rule, Warner Archive reissues of previous Warner Home Video Blu-rays have all been re-pressings of the same disc. In the podcast they are referred to as “back in print” releases.

What podcast?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks