What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Assignment -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those who have ever wondered, "Gee, what Michelle Rodriguez might look like with facial hair...

or perhaps breasts, and lacking male genitalia," here's your chance to find out.

Walter Hill, whose writing and directing credits have given us some terrific entertainments, has directed, and co-scripted the film, which is an oddity, taking on bits of graphic novel genre, as the story stealthily moves back and forth, interrupted by sequences of a doctor (Sigourney Weaver) being interviewed in a straight jacket.

That must tell us something.

The Assignment, for all its John Wick-like violence, works on some level, but isn't helped by a the slightly unnatural look of Ms Rodriquez's facial hair. Any actress truly worth her salt, would have gone on a regimen of hormones in order to prepare for the role. And as the film has its share of nudity, I was led to occasionally wonder precisely what I was seeing.

In the scenes after forced gender reassignment surgery, we have Ms Rodriguez in full frontal with breasts, and what appear to be applied nipples.

Sooo...

Were her breasts digitally produced, with digital nipples, or via make-up to purposefully make them appear to be an after surgery artifact?

Should the viewer even be questioning these things?

Ultimately, as noted, the film seems to work on its own level, and I'm unable to quite figure out what level that is.

I have great respect for Mr. Hill, and will watch anything to which he's attached.

The Assignment, included.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw Sigorney Weaver pitching this on the Stephen Colbert show, and though I must admit I'm intrigued, and would also watch anything that Walter Hill has done, this film got terrible reviews, mostly focusing on the deficiencies of Ms. Rodriquez's performance/visual appearance. But I'm glad you reviewed this, as I would like to see it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I can say I have long been a fan of Walter Hill. I have always thought of him as a Sam Peckinpah disciple and felt he always did his best work making those kind of films. He also has a penchant for comic books although of the more adult nature, and loves lurid material...he says he thinks it is fun. I was not crazy about his director's cut of The Warriors and I wish the theatrical version also got the blu-ray treatment as I prefer it.

In truth it has been a while since Mr. Hill made a really good feature film. However, each time he does I end up checking in with it to see what he has come up with. He does work with smaller budgets these days and so he obviously faces some challenges when he does direct a picture but he still attacks them in the same way he always has.

Recently he was on the WTF podcast and was as always interesting to listen to. He spoke of everything from his involvement with the Alien franchise (he was only involved with the first three films but for legal purposes they keep putting his name on them) and his early features to this his latest film. He now believes he has become a director of women and his next project also will feature female leads. You should know that it was Walter Hill on one of his rewrites of Alien that changed the Ripley character to a female...so he basically is the Godfather of bad ass female action heroes. He is at it again in this new film creating a role for a woman to play a real nasty piece of work...and in truth Michelle Rodriguez is a real life bad ass.

This film has been a lot of trouble from the get-go because people assumed it had something to do with being transgender or gender reassignment in some serious way...this is not the case but in the world we live in if you wade into these kind of waters be prepared to deal with the sharks. So, due to the content of the film it started off and remains behind the 8 ball.

I will check this film about because, hey, it is Walter Hill after all but my guess is I will end up wishing I had watched the recently released Trespass or even the flawed Brewster's Millions more than spending time with this. That's just a guess though and maybe it will surprise me. Bullet to the Head was not very good though.

I do hope that somebody get's Hill's westerns Wild Bill and Geronimo (I know there is a French disc but it may have forced subs) out on blu-ray though as these really are good pictures.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
You should know that it was Walter Hill on one of his rewrites of Alien that changed the Ripley character to a female...so he basically is the Godfather of bad ass female action heroes. He is at it again in this new film creating a role for a woman to play a real nasty piece of work...

The character Ellen Barkin played in Johnny Handsome was a really nasty piece of work.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn't think was by any means a good film, but it held my attention through its runtime. It's not good enough to be genuinely enjoyed on its own merits, and not bad enough to be enjoyed for how terrible it is. And yet, there's a kernel of something in there because I made it through the entire movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks