What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The American President -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm apparently a sucker for anything from the pen of Aaron Sorkin.

Rob Reiner's The American President is a delight.

This is early Sorkin. After the brilliant A Few Good Men (1992) and Malice (1993), with a great deal of TV between this film and The Social Network (2010) and Moneyball (2011).

Warner's Blu-ray is a decent affair, with beautiful color and a clean track.

What it's lacking is a non-digital image. Not bad, but not great either. This could be an older transfer, but it's more than decent --

especially at a street price of under $12 for the Blu-ray.

At that price, I can take a bit of a hit in quality, and as noted, this isn't bad, just not great.

Wonderful film and a comfortable Blu-ray.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Recommended.

RAH

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This film is one of my guilty pleasures. After not seeing it since release, i watched it with my 11 and 16 year old kids a month or so ago. They both liked it a lot.

David Norman

Premium
Guilty pleasure would seem to indicate there is some reason to dislike this film or that it's a bad film in most people's eyes, but you like it anyway.
I see no reason to even remotely have to defend to anyone loving this movie. The double feature of TAP and Dave I think makes a fun night.
Well written, funny, a couple of great villains, a few fun twists in a fully fictional Universe. On top of the fact that I have had huge crushes on both Annette Bening and Sigourney Weaver forever and both of these ladies are just beautiful in these 2 films.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
David Norman said:
Guilty pleasure would seem to indicate there is some reason to dislike this film or that it's a bad film in most people's eyes, but you like it anyway.
I see no reason to even remotely have to defend to anyone loving this movie. The double feature of TAP and Dave I think makes a fun night.
Well written, funny, a couple of great villains, a few fun twists in a fully fictional Universe. On top of the fact that I have had huge crushes on both Annette Bening and Sigourney Weaver forever and both of these ladies are just beautiful in these 2 films.
A friend of mine made fun of the movie once and said it was silly.
But I agree with you it's a well made film with a solid script and a wonderful cast—Douglas, Benning, Sheen, Fox, Dreyfuss, etc.
As you say, Dave makes a good double bill.
The success of the American President brought in a few years The West Wing. I wonder if they used some of the same sets brought out of mothballs...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hon04