What's new

Reed Grele

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Surely you mean Wolfgang Kieling, who played Hermann Gromek, and whose protracted death scene was seemingly one of the few scenes that seemed to spark any interest for Mr. Hitchcock.

Thank you for catching that! Did a quick edit.

I must have confused Torn Curtain with Land of the Giants. A completely understandable error for a 66-year-old.. ;)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I started Family Plot last night. It looks great on iTunes streaming. I really enjoy the film.

Contrast looks very good on night shots.

I love the actors that hitch used in this film too.

We should start a North By Northwest 4k thread, IMO.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Yes, let's hope the next set has NORTH BY NORTHWEST in 4K. I think that's the one we are all hoping for. It is owned by Warner Bros., so I don't know what the rights issue is for Universal to release it in 4K.

compson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Yes, let's hope the next set has NORTH BY NORTHWEST in 4K. I think that's the one we are all hoping for. It is owned by Warner Bros., so I don't know what the rights issue is for Universal to release it in 4K.
Warner owns it. George Feltenstein there apparently is encouraging them to release in 4K. High sales of the Universal sets should aid the cause.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Many critics at the time said that Frenzy looked more like the work of a Hitchcock imitator than of the master himself. I don't recall seeing many say that of Family Plot.
Well, I've found one critic who suggested that, and many more who express no doubt that Frenzy's technique and thematic predilections are unique to Hitchcock himself.
People who "hate" this film seem chiefly upset with its graphic brutality, which is admittedly intended to shock. I can understand that, but it cannot invalidate the film as the closing act of Hitchcock's virtuosity in which he adroitly orchestrates an accomplished cast within an ensemble of suspensful set pieces impishly compounded with sardonic humor in an urban setting. Frenzy was not meant to occupy the same environment as Hitchcock's glamorous fifties romantic thrillers. Neither was Family Plot.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
People who "hate" this film seem chiefly upset with its graphic brutality, which is admittedly intended to shock. I can understand that, but it cannot invalidate the film as the closing act of Hitchcock's virtuosity in which he adroitly orchestrates an accomplished cast within an ensemble of suspensful set pieces impishly compounded with sardonic humor in an urban setting. Frenzy was not meant to occupy the same environment as Hitchcock's glamorous fifties romantic thrillers. Neither was Family Plot.
Wasn't one of Hitchcock's film basics to have a sympathetic hero and/or heroine that the audience could identify with? Where is that person in Frenzy? I wouldn't say that the cranky Jon Finch fills that role. He looks like he's hung over the whole time. Isn't that why people hate this film? No one is likable in it (aside from Alec McCowen and Vivian Merchant - but they're almost in a different movie).

On a side note, doesn't Jon Finch look kind of like Herbert Lom?
JonH H.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Frenzy is one of my top 5 Hitchcock films. It's an interesting twist on his own formula. This time, you get a wronged man who is exceptionally unlikable and a killer with plenty of charisma. It also has some great setpieces. I can't help but think that he was inspired by a lot of the "New Hollywood" filmmakers since it doesn't come off as a film made by someone who made his first films in the silent era.

(My other top 4 would include Notorious, The Lady Vanishes, Rear Window, and Vertigo)

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Wasn't one of Hitchcock's film basics to have a sympathetic hero and/or heroine that the audience could identify with? Where is that person in Frenzy? I wouldn't say that the cranky Jon Finch fills that role. He looks like he's hung over the whole time. Isn't that why people hate this film? No one is likable in it (aside from Alec McCowen and Vivian Merchant - but they're almost in a different movie).

On a side note, doesn't Jon Finch look kind of like Herbert Lom?
View attachment 139251
Well I'll venture to suggest that if your marriage went south, you were flat broke, you wound up sleeping in a homeless shelter, you failed to act on a tip that would have won you a bundle, your girlfriend was murdered, and you had the law on your tail for a crime you didn't commit that could put you away for life, you might be a bit cranky too. If you can't find a little sympathy for this unfortunate bloke who's essentially a decent guy, I don't know what to say. I'm not here to cancel anyone's opinion, just to express my own. Nor am I concerned about the notion that "people hate this film". I do know there are also a lot of people who like it based on its considerable merits and not whether the central character looks hung over, as though there haven't been plenty of other disheveled and bedraggled "heroes" in other films. I like Finch in this picture. I also like the characters played by Billie Whitelaw as well as Alec McCowen, and probably some others. I didn't like any of the characters in "The Hateful 8", (the title was probably a tipoff). But a lot of people like it and I think the film was very well done even though I wouldn't sit through it again. For me, it's about the quality of the filmmaking.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Finished “Family Plot” 4k streaming last night. Loved it even though I did remember the story in places. Picture is great and I really love this cast of unknowns.

A lot of fun. I’ll get to the other 4k titles soon.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Well, I've found one critic who suggested that, and many more who express no doubt that Frenzy's technique and thematic predilections are unique to Hitchcock himself.
I hate it, because it is an ugly film, filled with people I dislike. I also don't like the people in VERTIGO, so it's low on my list, but there's certainly nothing ugly about it, and the first 40 minutes or so are really sublime. Nothing about FRENZY is worth watching, imo. But, we can't all like the same things.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Frankly, I'm surprise they included Blu-rays at all, but probably did so for the bonus material. Paramount and Warner are releasing 4K discs without any Blu-rays. I think that trend continues and will most likely increase further across the different studios.

I'm not so sure about that. Seems to me that Universal has been fairly good about putting the bonus material on the UHDs as well as the BDs. Lionsgate seems to be the only other label (at least, among the studio labels) that does the same.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not so sure about that. Seems to me that Universal has been fairly good about putting the bonus material on the UHDs as well as the BDs. Lionsgate seems to be the only other label (at least, among the studio labels) that does the same.
Then there is little point in having the old Blu-rays with this 4K set.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With the Blu-rays you can play the movie places where you don't have a 4K player.
Yeah, but it's the same blu-rays from beforehand. I doubt many people that are buying these 4K discs don't have those same blu-rays. I rather they not include the Blu-rays and lower the 4K prices.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This is actually my first time watching these five films, so new for me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleyquinn
Recent bookmarks