What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't obvious 10 years ago, when these films were first released with very lacklustre transfers in The Masterpiece Collection, that they would ever be rescanned and remastered for a new physical media home video release. I held off purchasing all of these titles then, apart from Shadow Of A Doubt, because of the reviews. Now I'm going to sit down this evening and watch Marnie for the first time ever!
I have a bunch of very big movies that I have never watched as I have so many unwatched movies around that I do not have to. It is very satisfying for me to take my time and to first watch a movie as a film print or a good Blu-ray or UHD!

Reed Grele

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
After I had already watched The Trouble With Harry, but before RAH posted his review, I happened upon a YouTube review where the reviewer claims to have spotted a "halo efffect" around the head of "the actor coming up the hill first sees Harry's body" and also a "blurring" around the trees in the background. He said this occurs between minutes 5:15 through 5:23. He claims that this "issue/error" was also on the previous BD. I did not notice this, but will check again later today when I have a chance. Perhaps another "baked in" anomaly?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
After I had already watched The Trouble With Harry, but before RAH posted his review, I happened upon a YouTube review where the reviewer claims to have spotted a "halo efffect" around the head of "the actor coming up the hill first sees Harry's body" and also a "blurring" around the trees in the background. He said this occurs between minutes 5:15 through 5:23. He claims that this "issue/error" was also on the previous BD. I did not notice this, but will check again later today when I have a chance. Perhaps another "baked in" anomaly?
Could be an optical. I can tell you that printer functions are all original.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

This was mentioned elsewhere and it happens in 2 shots- same angle/direction, it’s always been on previous releases. Just the film elements. The issue seems to have always been there. Baked in for sure.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Unforgivable of Universal to use old blu rays. I'm most excited about FAMILY PLOT because it has always looked so bad and it is one of my favorite films of his. THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY has always looked awesome -- even on VHS. It is just about the most stunning color and photography of all time. A so-so film, but Shirley's first. SHADOW OF A DOUBT was Hitch's favorite of all his films. It is always fun.

Patrick McCart

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'll be contrarian and say that re-using the old Blu-rays is really only problematic for Marnie and Family Plot. Marnie could have even gotten away with just a re-encode since I suspect most of the problem was due to compression fighting with the grain and diffusion filters. Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, and The Trouble with Harry already looked quite lovely and I don't know if the extra expense would have been worth it for a set that's supposed to highlight UHD. Not to say I don't get why people are disappointed, but the Blu discs in my set aren't ever hitting a player anyways.

With that said, I sampled all the discs yesterday. The Trouble with Harry is indeed gorgeous and now it's apparent those few "haloing" shots are due to something happening in the camera gate from original photography. I'm going to guess that Universal utilized both the VV A/B negative and replacement yellow separation master because the color and contrast are just jaw-dropping. Demo disc. Looking forward to rewatching since it left me a bit cold originally.

Saboteur seems to survive from elements a generation away, so there's some moments that have periodic "blurs" that I've seen on other nitrate-era films without camera negatives to source from. Opticals don't look over-processed. Shadow of a Doubt is gorgeous, another stellar example of what nitrate B&W can look like (if it's not entirely from OCN, they must have some beautiful fine-grains to work from).

Marnie is also quite beautiful and all the filtering finally looks more "frosted" than just blurry. Great color and sharpness. Family Plot still has all those optical composites looking rough, but at least looks like something film-based rather than noise reduced to death. The bulk of the film looks lovely, yet it's not like anything can be as bad as its Blu.

I'd have to compare with the Blu-rays, but the sound is phenomenal on Marnie and Family Plot. I'm guessing Universal remastered the sound since I don't remember being that impressed before. Certainly worth it, with scores by Bernard Herrmann and John Williams.

Bring on Vol. 3 as long as Universal keeps up this sort of quality. Not just on the Hitchcock films, but it's quite astonishing how they went from being such a wild card for their Blu-rays to having an almost spotless record for UHD.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'll be contrarian and say that re-using the old Blu-rays is really only problematic for Marnie and Family Plot. Marnie could have even gotten away with just a re-encode since I suspect most of the problem was due to compression fighting with the grain and diffusion filters. Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, and The Trouble with Harry already looked quite lovely and I don't know if the extra expense would have been worth it for a set that's supposed to highlight UHD. Not to say I don't get why people are disappointed, but the Blu discs in my set aren't ever hitting a player anyways.

With that said, I sampled all the discs yesterday. The Trouble with Harry is indeed gorgeous and now it's apparent those few "haloing" shots are due to something happening in the camera gate from original photography. I'm going to guess that Universal utilized both the VV A/B negative and replacement yellow separation master because the color and contrast are just jaw-dropping. Demo disc. Looking forward to rewatching since it left me a bit cold originally.

Saboteur seems to survive from elements a generation away, so there's some moments that have periodic "blurs" that I've seen on other nitrate-era films without camera negatives to source from. Opticals don't look over-processed. Shadow of a Doubt is gorgeous, another stellar example of what nitrate B&W can look like (if it's not entirely from OCN, they must have some beautiful fine-grains to work from).

Marnie is also quite beautiful and all the filtering finally looks more "frosted" than just blurry. Great color and sharpness. Family Plot still has all those optical composites looking rough, but at least looks like something film-based rather than noise reduced to death. The bulk of the film looks lovely, yet it's not like anything can be as bad as its Blu.

I'd have to compare with the Blu-rays, but the sound is phenomenal on Marnie and Family Plot. I'm guessing Universal remastered the sound since I don't remember being that impressed before. Certainly worth it, with scores by Bernard Herrmann and John Williams.

Bring on Vol. 3 as long as Universal keeps up this sort of quality. Not just on the Hitchcock films, but it's quite astonishing how they went from being such a wild card for their Blu-rays to having an almost spotless record for UHD.
I believe Harry is from the original A/B rolls. One can often get a quality digital image from a 1954 5248 production. Much comes down to luck and finesse.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Curious that Universal dumped these to blu-ray, apparently with little thought or care a decade ago, and is only now investing the money to bring them them to market in a "restored" form. I hope they sell enough to justify a volume 3, if only for an much-needed upgrade on The Man Who Knew To Much remake.

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I just watched Saboteur on DVD from Netflix for the first time and really liked it. All the Blu-rays (disc only) are available on Ebay at an attractive price. Does anyone know a good online source for cover scans? Thanks in advance.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's laziness at all. I think it's a conscious effort to force people to upgrade to 4K disc. It's a similar strategy with Paramount not including any Blu-ray with their 4K disc releases. Warner has done the same with the upcoming "Giant" 4K release. Also, part of this strategy is what digital is supplied to the different digital services including their own streaming platform. This business strategy might not work with many people, but it will work for some people. Frankly, those that can't upgrade to 4K disc or can't/refuse to stream are basically being chalked up by the studio bean-counters as segment of consumers that they considered lost for good.

Completely agree. It does take time and resources to create new 1080p discs. I think most of the studios are pouring their money in the 4K market where generally speaking will have the highest video enthusiasts. Given one can buy a new 65" OLED and 4K player combined for under $2K tells me some 1080p consumers are lost for good.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Completely agree. It does take time and resources to create new 1080p discs. I think most of the studios are pouring their money in the 4K market where generally speaking will have the highest video enthusiasts. Given one can buy a new 65" OLED and 4K player combined for under $2K tells me some 1080p consumers are lost for good.
I'm still very satisfied with my twelve-year-old Sony 1080p LCD panel. I simply don't have the interest I used to have and I grew tired of having to upgrade every ten years. I even ditched my surround sound and don't miss the noise.
I grew up with panned-and-scanned 240i VHS on a CRT being the norm so 1080p is more than enough for me.

mdhaus

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I haven't had an opportunity to watch these yet, but I HATE the book packaging. As RAH notes, it's exceedingly difficult to remove the discs from the book sleeves, and my copy of Family Plot arrived visibly scuffed due to friction with the packaging. I tested it in my drive, and sure enough, it won't read. I will RMAing.
That stinks! :( I hope your replacement provides you with perfect discs.

I agree with you on the packaging. It's the key reason why I spent more money and purchased all of these films in their individual release format. I did the same thing with the films in the first collection, although I bought those in steelbook form.

These "book style" and "digi-pack" styles need to be retired. I also loath "disc stacking" and purposely go out of my way to avoid it if at all possible, including spending more on steelbook or other special edition packaging. It's ridiculous that in the year 2022 these studios can't simply do what's needed to provide a damage-free disc. And if it's about cost, then simply tack on a couple extra bucks for the price. People will pay it!

noel aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I’m hoping Best Buy releases these in steel books like the last 4 which I have and the packaging looks fantastic. Then I’ll buy due to this packaging issue. Or when it’s drastically reduced in about 3 mos. I’ve waited so long for Marnie to be fixed I can wait.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm still very satisfied with my twelve-year-old Sony 1080p LCD panel. I simply don't have the interest I used to have and I grew tired of having to upgrade every ten years. I even ditched my surround sound and don't miss the noise.
I grew up with panned-and-scanned 240i VHS on a CRT being the norm so 1080p is more than enough for me.
Then you're part of the customer segment the industry has viewed as lost for good.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I’m hoping Best Buy releases these in steel books like the last 4 which I have and the packaging looks fantastic. Then I’ll buy due to this packaging issue. Or when it’s drastically reduced in about 3 mos. I’ve waited so long for Marnie to be fixed I can wait.

I doubt we'll see SteelBooks for these. The four movies in the first volume were all "marquee" titles for Hitchcock, the iconic hits that every fans knows and will want to own. This volume is second-tier Hitchcock. As much as I love Shadow of a Doubt, it's nowhere near as famous as Rear Window or Psycho. There's going to be much less desire from fans to buy movies like Family Plot or Marnie in fancy SteelBook packaging.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
A bit of enthusiasm for having the latest and greatest is what drives software sales in new formats.
I hope that enough people will continue to have that as otherwise the catalog titles will be the first to go.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I doubt we'll see SteelBooks for these. The four movies in the first volume were all "marquee" titles for Hitchcock, the iconic hits that every fans knows and will want to own. This volume is second-tier Hitchcock. As much as I love Shadow of a Doubt, it's nowhere near as famous as Rear Window or Psycho. There's going to be much less desire from fans to buy movies like Family Plot or Marnie in fancy SteelBook packaging.
Family Plot is third-tier Hitchcock, allowing that Barbara Harris is the one bright spot in an otherwise trivial excursion. I would greatly have preferred Frenzy in this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BaconBrain
Recent bookmarks