Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is a link I posted in a different thread:

https://catalog.afi.com/Catalog/moviedetails/53260

The relevant portion:

----
"On 19 Feb 1960, the PCA viewed the completed film, which it refused to approve. According to an internal memo, the film was rejected because of the beginning scene between Sam and Marion, which was 'entirely too passionate'; a sexually suggestive line uttered by 'Tom Cassidy'; and the shower murder sequence. The memo stated that the sequence had 'a number of shots, some impressionistic, some completely realistic, of the girl’s nude body. All of these shots are in violation of the Code, which prohibits nudity 'in fact or in silhouette.' It was further declared that Norman watching Marion undress was too sexually suggestive and had to be cut so that he would only see her in her bra and slip rather than explicitly taking off her bra. On 3 Mar 1960, the office issued Paramount a seal of approval 'based upon the revised scenes as reviewed in our projection room' the previous day, so presumably the cuts demanded by the PCA were made.

"The Hitchcock papers reveal that the National Catholic Legion of Decency demanded three cuts before giving the picture a 'B,' or 'morally objectionable in part for all' rating. The Legion required that scenes of Marion removing her bra be deleted, that the shots showing Norman washing his hands of blood be shortened and that the number of times Arbogast is stabbed be reduced from four to two. Psycho was eventually issued the 'B' rating by the Legion, which announced: 'The sensational use of sex and the excessive violence, which partially mar the development of the story, are considered to be entirely lacking in dramatic justification and to be highly objectionable.'"
----

This suggests that both the PCA and the Legion of Decency objected to the shot of Marion undressing, and that the Legion of Decency objected to the two other bits that are now part of the "Uncut" version. It's possible that the trims were made to the negative in the spring of 1960, but that materials for international distribution had already gone out. Some markets may have released the slightly longer prints, one of which was apparently the source of those German TV airings that started all the speculation about a longer cut in the first place.

That's admittedly all conjecture, but I feel like the only other possibility is that Paramount ignored the Legion of Decency and released the film with those extra bits of footage. Then when Universal gained control a few years later, they went back into the film and made the three specific cuts the Legion of Decency had requested in 1960 and then re-released the film, claiming that it was "Uncut" and the "Version TV Didn't Dare Show." I'm just not sure I buy that.

I may be completely wrong, of course. Anyone can feel free to post the "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" conspiracy meme if you'd like. :)
Were any cuts actually made to the shower scene?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For those unaware, Alfred Hitchcock was a filmmaker of (generally) thrillers, occasionally with a bit of humor thrown in, and one single comedy - Mr. and Mrs. Smith (the 1941 RKO version).

Thanks for the fine review, RAH. However, I would add The Trouble With Harry to that list of comedies, making it a grand total of two. Hitch explored the humor in dealing with a dead body long before Weekend at Bernie's.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Anybody noticing problems with USPS? My 4K Hitch has been sitting in Texas for 3 days. Another Amazon order reached Montgomery AL (50 miles from me) and the next morning it was in Tulsa OK, where it has been sitting for 2 days. How will the election happen with already such confusion and error?
The only time i had delays in shipment was with DeepDiscount when they shipped items by Media Mail. I had one Blu-ray sit in a certain post office for over a week.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm certain, yes. And the music sounds MUCH better on the original mono track, and that sound mix is superb - the new one has new sfx added that's both unnecessary and irritating - these were added for the the 5.1 mix done a decade ago and they should be put out to pasture. The original mono audio included on the UK Blu from back then is of superb quality.
In regards to my readings of the mono track discussions concerning “Psycho”, three check-points have now become clear and well established throughout the numerous HTF threads:

a) The original “Psycho” mono track of 1960 remains superior to all of the other attempted mixes throughout the years.
b) The “Psycho” stand-alone UK disc is currently the only available shot we have at hearing it.
c) The U.S. 4K Hitchcock set is, otherwise, splendid; were it not for its omission of the expected mono track that is historically organic to the original “Psycho” experience.

So, where do we and Universal go from here?

Do we hope that Universal is now within the loop of these discussions?

Are the attuned insiders actively tugging at the ears of Universal; and is that simply enough for the studio to make a correction by utilizing a disc replacement program?

And, finally, would it be warranted for the civilian consumer to also lend their voices via a properly addressed email?

Hopefully, a solution is already at hand.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
b) The “Psycho” stand-alone UK disc is currently the only available shot we have at hearing it.

It’s available on all of the previous Universal-produced BD editions of Psycho, which was from around 2012. It’s not limited to the UK print run of that title. If you have the older Psycho, you have the real mono. If you have the one from this week, you don’t.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
In regards to my readings of the mono track discussions concerning “Psycho”, three check-points have now become clear and well established throughout the numerous HTF threads:

a) The original “Psycho” mono track of 1960 remains superior to all of the other attempted mixes throughout the years.
c) The U.S. 4K Hitchcock set is, otherwise, splendid; were it not for its omission of the expected mono track that is historically organic to the original “Psycho” experience.

So, where do we and Universal go from here?

Do we hope that Universal is now within the loop of these discussions?

Are the attuned insiders actively tugging at the ears of Universal; and is that simply enough for the studio to make a correction by utilizing a disc replacement program?

And, finally, would it be warranted for the civilian consumer to also lend their voices via a properly addressed email?

Hopefully, a solution is already at hand.

My hope is Bill Hunt will address with Universal.

Also, it’s come to our attention that there may be an error in Universal’s The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection in 4K Ultra HD. Specifically, the Psycho 4K disc is supposed to include the original theatrical mono audio. But it appears instead that the mono included is actually a fold-down of the new DTS:X mix on the disc—so it’s NOT the original theatrical sound experience. We’ve gotten word into the studio and we’ll see what they say. I expect to start working on a review of that set this weekend. We’ll post updates on this as we hear anything back.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It’s available on all of the previous Universal-produced BD editions of Psycho, which was from around 2012. It’s not limited to the UK print run of that title. If you have the older Psycho, you have the real mono. If you have the one from this week, you don’t.
Thankfully, I have the 2012 disc; but could you clarify if the UK edition is inclusive of a newly upgraded image?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My hope is Bill Hunt will address with Universal.

Also, it’s come to our attention that there may be an error in Universal’s The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection in 4K Ultra HD. Specifically, the Psycho 4K disc is supposed to include the original theatrical mono audio. But it appears instead that the mono included is actually a fold-down of the new DTS:X mix on the disc—so it’s NOT the original theatrical sound experience. We’ve gotten word into the studio and we’ll see what they say. I expect to start working on a review of that set this weekend. We’ll post updates on this as we hear anything back.
No need for anyone to address anything. I’m certain the studio is aware. When the subject arose, I checked inventories on the subject, and confirmed that the orig monaural survives.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

Not sure this is quite accurate. My memory is it was not in the Masterpiece set, which is why I bought the UK Blu-ray back then, which definitely had it. I do think they included the original mono mix when the standalone Blu of Psycho was released after the box set.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No need for anyone to address anything. I’m certain the studio is aware. When the subject arose, I checked inventories on the subject, and confirmed that the orig monaural survives.
So is this a result of the studio intentionally screwing up the mono track or is it just carelessness? Why is it so hard to get it right the first time?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Not sure this is quite accurate. My memory is it was not in the Masterpiece set, which is why I bought the UK Blu-ray back then, which definitely had it. I do think they included the original mono mix when the standalone Blu of Psycho was released after the box set.
Well that settles it. I’ll be sticking to my Amazon purchase of the new 4K/UHD set, as “Vertigo”, “Rear Window” and “The Birds” are still a solid value for 60 bucks. Meanwhile, I’ll keep abreast of any disc replacement programs from Universal. If it goes nowhere, then I’ll purchase the UK disc of “Psycho” as a stand-alone.

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
So is this a result of the studio intentionally screwing up the mono track or is it just carelessness? Why is it so hard to get it right the first time?

Perhaps it is due to folks in charge or doing the actual work aren’t that familiar with the history and/or elements available.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Hmmm, you could be right. I have the one from the Masterpiece set and it does have something that’s labeled as mono on it. I haven’t checked since this thread to see if it’s a real mono or a fold down.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks